• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

bucks clashing... is it time?

Laska

So went to the farm house the ther day and the owner said he saw 2 big bucks clashing with each for awhile... he said they didn't even mind the headlights pointing at them... soooo question is do I bring the rattles with now? Also seeing scrapes and my wife got to see a nice 8pter last week seems to me the transition is here and time for some different tactics.... oh and tonight I saw a 140's 10pter afterdark with 12" g2's!! Don't know bout you guys but I've got the fever!

I have pictures of two eights fighting from friday, and I watched a six trying to spar with a small eight this morning from the stand. Although it didn't last long this morning, the eight wasn't really into it. I will also mention that I had a group of four bucks come in together this morning, so I don't think they are duking it out too much yet.

PICT0120.jpg

I think as soon as the velvet comes off, bucks will start to spar. Probably a couple weeks before they start to think about any serious clashes. Like AS said, you can bring the antlers now, but keep it pretty subtle. Personally I'd wait a while yet.

I don't really believe many bucks will come in to rattling untill they think they might be able to score the lady while the other two are duking it out, and that is still a ways off.

Was driving home from duck hunting lastnight and because you have to be off the slough before dark i was driving at prime time. Out in victoria on 7 by the carver park reserve their was a giant 8 point and a little 6 still together. It was good to see them on their feet but I think if they are still running together a little they havent started chasing quite yet.

Thats just it, right now they are still running in their "bachelor" groups and they are sparing to figure out the pecking order. Give it 2 to 3 weeks and they will be mortal enemys. If your going to rattle now, like said before, keep it to a dull roar. Right now its more a curiousity thing, they will just want to see what other bucks are in the area. 2 to 3 weeks from now they will want to go kick some [PoorWordUsage] if they hear horns clashing.