• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Miss. River craps

CrappieJohn

I went to the Mississippi river backwaters this morning and finally found the craps.In numbers! I brought home a limit of them that were between 10.5 and 12 inches, thick and sassy. The water temp was still at 60 degrees, but the usual fare of jigs/twisters or tubes just didn't terip thier trigger and I found that without minnows, I was without fish. So I gave them what they wanted.The sunnies still liked jig/waxie offerings. Between the sunnies and the craps things were pretty much non-stop for all of the three and a half hours I was fishing.With continued cool weather forecast, this fish- availability-senario should become quite common for the next six weeks or more if the weather does as it has in recents years. It sure is nice finding my ol' buds back on the feed!

------------------
Sure life happens- why wait....The Crapster....good fishing guys!
[email protected]

Boy Tom I gotta tell ya, your trips always sound like alot of fun! smile.gif

I am heading out of town now and might do a little fishing tomorrow after the Vikes game.

Octobers here in a couple days...Feels like it in full force today already though!

I'll post my results of the paper lips should I make it on the lake.

------------------
Good fishing,
UJ
[email protected]

Had another run at the pannies today on the backwaters and found things a tad off-color due to this heavy-hitting cold front. I started with my usual plastics and down-sized every fifteen minutes until I was using stuff that resemble hair...or so I though. After an hour I decided to do bait and began with waxies and ended up with minnows. Still no fish...not even the pesky small sunfish. Then I pulled out a plastic that Mike Smith, owner of Hookedonfishing Bait and Tackle, had buried in his back office until I found it the other morning during a coffee hour there. These things look like colorful rat dump....orange, chartreuse, pink,yellow, white...about the size and shape of it anyway. They are very soft and are supposed to be scented like minnows, but smell of anise. In the package they are almost sticky and when handling them they are something else...stuck to everything imaginable. BUT...they worked like magic when put on a small chartreuse jig under a float. I brought home 7 crappies between 11 1/2 inches and 13 inches plus four 9 inch plus sunfish. All the sunnies and the five largest craps fell to this stuff and I can't tell you how many smaller fish nailed it. The package this stuff came in tells me that it was in the baitshop before Mike got it, so I may have a tough time finding it to replace what I intend to use and lose. If I can find the source, I'll post the name and how to get it. It was as close to a "miracle worker" today given the 29 degree temps, the high skis, and the cold wind. And especially give that everything else that was tried worked minimally at best.

------------------
[email protected]

I agree with Northlander.I too use and love Power maggots and I'm assuming when he says they last longer,he means shelf life.If he's talking lasting on the hook,I would have to disagree on that.In fact,I contacted Berkely last year to complain about how easily they are stripped off the hook and was told that this was something they were working on. I suppose it has alot to do with the way you hook them.I hook them through one end and let them hang.I hook maggots the same way and if you hook a maggot right through that little tit that kind of hangs below the little black eyes,you can catch a dozen fish or more sometimes before you'll lose a maggot.Mike

I have tried about everything with scent at one time or another, as far as plastics go. Some do well others are fill for the trash can. Power maggots work about the same for me as other powerbait products...quite effectively. Mike from HOF and I stumbled upon a totally unheard of scented plastic that has shown me some unreal results, are smaller and softer than powerbait maggots and the colors are more transparent. These too are completely biodegradeable and may cause quite a stir during the winter months when the pannies are finicky...just have to wait and see. Rick Smith from Catch-n tackle has the bio-bait products available thru Catch-n.com. I have tested the larva, leech,crawfish,and nightcrawler varieties with pretty fair results. The proof will be in the winter's pudding. Basically all the scented "small" plastics designed for pannies and crappies will have to show thier worth during the winter months..biobait as well..when the target fish are noted for turning thier noses up at about everything. If those baits work well then, then they will sell themselves. And of course, everyone has a product they swear by and will promote the use of it. That is good, as it shows that the biggest element of plastics fishing is a proven one- that being confidence. Without confidence in a bait, it may as well go to the garbage can.

------------------
[email protected]

Northlander-
I just bought some of those maggots but haven't tried them yet. I bought chartruse and natural. Is there a color they like better than others? Do you rig them on a bare hook or a jig?
Dobber

Tom.I'm a little confused after reading your post.Are the plastics that you are talking about a bio-bait product that a guy can purchase at catch-n,or are they something else and if so,what are they called and are they available anywhere?Thanks,Mike

Troutman...No, this is a new product that is, as far as I know, not even marketed. Bio-bait, is a soy based bait that comes dried and needs to be softened with water. Mentioning this fact about bio-bait, when you are going to use this stuff be sure to have taken a small ziplock bag to put the bio-bait and some water from where you are fishing in it. Done this way there will not be any chance of foriegn smells or tastes to bug the fish. When I have gotten more info on this plastic stuff I'll let people know of the details.

------------------
[email protected]

Tom, sounds like the slabs are starting to hit on the river backwaters. Can you suggest a landing that I can put in at that would be close to these back waters? I am not familiar with Red Wing so any help you can lend would be greatly appreciated.

Murdock...The whole area is full of landings, but since you didn't indicate a boat size, I'll stick to the better ones. In the West Newton and Wilcox areas, each have decent landings. Below the Alma Dam there are two landings...one just to the north of the power plant and the other about a mile below the power plant. Wabasha has a municiple landing in the harbor. If you have a small boat, there are several landings on the dike road between Wabasha and Nelson, Wisconsin. Lake City has a couple landings..one freebie in the Rochen Park and another paysite inside the marina. Red Wind has three or four in the area, but Colvil Park and park in downtown Red Wing are perhaps the best as they are free. Any of these will put you close proximity to walleye/sauger, crappie/pannies, and norther/bass. Have at'em.

------------------
[email protected]

Thanks for the boat landing info Tom!!!! What depth were you finding the crappies? Were you using a bobber or just casting? Were you anchored in deeper water and casting into shallower water or were you using your electric trolling motor to slow troll a jig and minnow? I fished from a dock within the back waters and found a couple of 9 inch slabs directly under the dock, but only a coouple. I am planning on bringing the boat to the back waters just south of Red Wing on Friday, Oct. 31st. I will be in a blue 16ft Rebel with a 35 horse yammy and transom mounted Minkota. Any FMrs are to give me a holler if you see me. Would be nice to meet ya'll. Thanks again Tom!!!

Murdock...If you are fishing an area with a current, look for the craps to be deeper than in water without a current. Wood, especially sunken wood, out of the way of any current will yield fish if there is some deeper water nearby. Try fishing about 5 feet right up next to bridge pilings. They can be hot this time of year. Luck to ya!

------------------
[email protected]