• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

what's the deal?

CrappieJohn

What, did everyone take exlax all at once or what. It's been five days since the last post here...nobody fishing at all? Hey I went on Sunday, but for the waldo species, not craps or pannies. I can't believe no one has been fishing!

------------------
Sure life happens- why wait....The Crapster....good fishing guys!
[email protected]

Hey.....there is life on this forum. Fly fishing for the craps! Not too many people do that and I myself tried it many moons ago, but with dire results( had to have said fly removed from my ear). Hope you fare well my man.

------------------
Sure life happens- why wait....The Crapster....good fishing guys!
[email protected]

i've done my share of boating the "paper mouth"s" with the fly rod....I usually wait until the evening hours when they gather in "pods" just under the surface.....usually use a small" bett's" foam spider (any color)...they smack it just like a feeding bluegill....great fun on a 8' fly rod for sure....as I said though......only super calm water conditions no wind at all are the best times....I usually fish out of a canoe "solo" when I'm approaching these crappie pods with my fly rod ,just think it would be kinda tough with a 16' lund(to big and noisy)...more people should try it....a great alternative way to fish for crappies....jon

Ahhh memories - when I was a kid in VT. there was an artificial pond near my house that was created for an ice company in the late 1800's. All of us in the neighborhood fished it at one time or another and then "graduated" to other waters after becoming satisfied that we were ready to move on. Anyway,
In my teens the Army Corps of Eng. started drawing it down to take out the levy-dam that created it and develop the land. This draw-down took all summer and in it's early days the bluegills and rockbass were thick along the shore. I had about a 1/2 dozen flies that I'd recieved as a gift and decided to try 'em out on these panfish with my spinning rig. I'm surprised I didn't hang myself in the tangles of mono, but occassionally I got a fly out there and those guys took it! What a blast!
To make a short story long, as fall approached, the former pond (VT doesn't call it a lake until it's really big) the size of say...Hiawatha was drawn down to a pair of pools about 75 yards across. We got to see that all the bodies, cars, shacks and horses that were supposed to be in there...weren't, but the whole fish population that wasn't stinking up the banks was literally boiling in these pools. You could cast a spark-plug and catch something. It was almost all bass, & sunnies - the trout died quickly in the drawdown. Early fall found the ACE loads of dirt in there to cover the quagmire (& stench). Last time I saw it was about 6 years ago, and there were houses around a wetland/marshy forest and the outlet from it was a dry ravine.

Hmm. Thanks ya'll - I haven't thought about old Eddy's Ice Pond in years.

------------------
Aquaman
<')}}}}}><{
"The bow is set to distant shore,
then loss is gained and gains once more.
When beach is reached and sails are torn,
the journey is it's own reward."

Hi to All!

Since Aquaman brought up the 'when I was a kid' story . . . I thought I'd share one.
My parents' had a cabin when I was a kid on Bone lake in Wisconsin. Spent a lot of time on the dock and to where I could row on the lake. Anyway, in the summer on quiet evenings, after dark, I could fish with a panfish sized popper and catch crappies right in front of our cabin. The crappies would be slurping minnows all around the boat. Average size crappies but a lot of fun!

I used to cast off the dock, also after dark with a small crankbait called a Fly Ike, a miniature lazy ike. Didn't catch as many crappies, but once in a while would get them in the pound class fishing that way. I can't remember getting a fish that big on the flies.

Boy did I have some explosions at the dock from muskies when I used to cast jitterbugs for bass after dark! Never caught one that way but they sure tried to get it a couple of times!