• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ripley pictures

just got back my party saw one nice buckwith no shot then I saw 4 does this morning either too far away or no clear shot but the closest was 48yrd with lots of limbs. oh well come home again with no deer but had alots of fun and getting closer to dialing in our spot up there. I think if I had one more daywould had something in the back of the truck .

Newbie at Ripley this year and first morning had two bucks and one "double-wide" doe sniff my tree should have taken her but was waiting for Mr. Big. Later in the afternoon around 1:30 a big 8 about ran me over somebody must have pushed him and i could have touched him with an arrow he was that close...don't ask where my bow was!

This morning only saw one grouse and pulled the pin at noon to hit some other land close to home and just missed one of the biggest 10ptrs I've had the chance to shoot, 5 bucks total and the big guy was kicking some @ s s on the little guys they were every where.

The rut isn't far and the big boys are now coming out to play get in the stand. Oh every buck that I saw yesterday and today were grunting like crazy.

Good Luck,

mr

Well im finally back to a computer, it was our first time at Ripley and it was a good learning process, we saw deer so it was better then i thought. My buddy had a doe 30 yards broadside on Friday but didnt shoot, only bad thing was sleeping in a cold tent and having to to a half mile sprint to the truck on friday because my buddy said the gate didnt open till 6, so if any of you saw two idiots running to the front of the line while you were driving that was us laugh

It wasnt suppose to open till 6 but I wasnt complaining at all. Few more abandoned vehicles on the second day I noticed. Well run and a great experience. Saw 13 by 2pm on thursday. Only one was a buck and it was a spike. Friday people were all over our spot so we got out of there and did some exploring. Found an area ripped up and sat there for the rest of the day. Only had one doe cross about 50 yds from me. Def. learning experience.

where were more deer sightings at you guys think north or south? We stayed North both days but friday we started working our way south a bit. I gotta thank To Tall Tom for the help with the maps they were key to finding our way around

Youngest son shot a doe thursday morning and I shot a 165 pound nine point friday morning. oldest son saw 16 the first day nothing he wanted to shoot gave him a shot.same spot we shot two at two years ago.did not see as many big guys in vehicle as in years past. always interesting at Ripley

I'm a Ripley virgin. I'll be hunting the second weekend. I was wondering if any of the guys who have been up there and had some success could share some tips with a newbie? I've been doing a lot of "scouting" with google earth and found some funnels. Is this a good tactic or should I be looking for something else? Would it be better to hunt in some of the larger tracts of timber or some of the smaller tracts along the river? I don't mind a long hike if it means i'll see more deer by getting away from the roads. How wet are the swamps, could a guy walk through them with knee boots and have dry feet? My prliminary plan is to get in early and set up on a funnel and hope other guys walking in push deer by me, unless someone has a better idea. Any info is greatly appreciated. If you would prefer to email me, my address is [email protected]

Thanks,

Ed

Ed we thought that was going to be the way to go as well. Everyone else thought so too after looking at google earth and found the pinch points. Getting in early is easier said then done. We walked in on the second day to the same spot we hunted the first and there was 10 people set up on the ridge. Have many back up plans. If we were to do it again we would just pull off and find a place with less vehicles and find a place you think looks good. Good luck its def. a fun experience.

I agree with the previous post. Even if you think you are the only one there there could be a guy 50yds from you. Look for places far away from anywhere and if you can see a funnel 200 others can see it too and are going to be at that spot.

Like previous posters stated, if you find a good looking spot on google earth so has everyone else. With that being said try to find those spots then find secondary escape routes from those spots. You have a better chance and getting a buck that got kicked of a spot by another person than natural movement. Sit all day and be ready between 10-2 when other are going to and from cars for lunch. Good luck!!!