• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Where are panfish living now?

rodbuilder

I all, I mainly fish walleyes and muskies but have been attempting to get into the panfish game. I have been out twice in the last 3 days and managed 1 perch and 1 walleye. Where are the panfish located this time of year? I had heard to go to the north side of the lake in the shallows. The crappies and sunnies will be up there in the sun. I spent 4 hours last night on the north side of a lake (in 3-12 ft) and managed 1 TINY perch. I had both crawlers and crappie minnows. Where should I look? I am in Bemidji if that makes a difference.

Thanks for the help!

The water in Bemidji is still going to be a little cool with this cool weather. Once we get two nice sunny day, go check the shallows again. The North side of the lake is a good place to start if the lake doens't have bays. But little muddy bays are the first place to look. I like 2-3 ft of water. Try a Black Flu-Flu tipped with a wax worm, below a bobber. Try around all pieces of stucture in the bay. They may be sitting tight against shore or in the middle. You want to try all over.

If you can't find them in the real shallow water then you can look at the first drop outside the bay but that can be tough if you are not familiar with this type of fishing. Most lakes have a couple shallow muddy bays that hold the fish, I just try them all until I find them. Good luck

------------------
Mille Lacs Guide Service
www.millelacsguideservice.com

Here in the S.E. corner of the state we are doing the yo-yo thing with the water temp. Everything we gain during bright days goes to pot at night with the temps consistantly dropping into the forties and even the thirties. As Scott stated when the water and weather are warm for a couple days, shallow your presentation up as well as the depth of water you fish. I think that until the water temp moderates a bit more and becomes consistant thru the water colomn it will pay to concentrate on some sort of structure...wood, weeds, bridge pilings, etc. If you cannot find fish in the shallower water, back out over deeper water and fish deeper under your bobber. Good fishing..Crapster

------------------
Sure life happens- why wait

I live in Bemidji as well, I just got off the lake, I spent all day searching for pans and they just aren't in the shallows on my lake yet. Highers water temp. was 59 degrees right by the access. It'll be a bit yet!

Mattyjim....don't wait for warmer water. Start fishing deep water adjecent to the shallow stuff and don't be afraid to fish deep as well. If you can find some sort of structure in the immediate area, try getting right up tight to it and as deep as you can fish. By now the pannies have moved into the prime spring areas and are more than likely a lot nearer than you think. It is a good time to be on the water and an even better time to try some new ideas and tactics. If you were using live bait, try plastics...1" twisters on a 1/32 head or a 1 1/2" tube under a bobber on a 1/32 head. Sky's the limit dude... keep at them and you will find them. Crapster

------------------

How about time of day? I'm hitting an Annandale area lake after work - should hit the water by 6:30. Am I gonna be too late?

------------------
Aquaman
<')}}}}}><{
Peace and Fishes

Aquaman...Watch your daily temps and sky conditions. Yesterday we had clouds and rain here, but the rain was light and the clouds the night before helped keep the nighttime temps up and we did not loose much for water temp from the day before and the fish could still be found adjecent to the shallows in deep water. Last night our skiescleared and we lost about six degrees to cool night air. This morning the fish were quite deep, but as the day got on they moved up some and the water temp at the surface rebounded real well. Even with the wind today, if the skies dstay clear you can fish until dark or later in or near shallow water and probably do very well. Good fishing... Crapster

------------------