• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

So the ice is gone, now what?

Lunker

So i've been driving by my favorite lakes, and all looks ice free. So now what? I've been fishing the rivers, but want to hit the lakes. What would you all reccomend for the early season? My boat is still at my cabin, so strictly shore fishing. Will the bridge over nokomis hold any fish yet? I caught a lot of gills under there this winter in under 10ft of water, they shouldn't have moved if they were there all winter, right?

Lunker... if these lake you want to fish are mapped, get copies and find areas of deeper water adjecent to or within casting distance of accessible shoreline an begin there. Your bridge pilings are also good choices provided there is not a heavy-duty current in that area. Some current will be ok, just not a hard one. Use a live bait to find out if the fish are there by starting deep and adjust upward. If you are fishing the bridge pilings, fish tight to them. If you find fish, switch to 1" power twisters or exude twisters or you could even rig a tube and see if they are will to take any of the plastic. If they will...stay with it. Many of these smaller puddles are sleeper spots and do not get much attention until the mosquitoes are out. Good luck..Crapster

------------------
Sure life happens- why wait

Lunker...this is still a cold water period so use what was working thru the ice for a while. If you have a thermometer, monitor the water temp...at about 48 degrees you should be all plastic unless a nasty front comes pounding through in which case the fish will be found very deep and you may have to lure them out of hiding with live bait for a day or so until things stabilize. And Derek's article may offer up some helpful insight... it is well written and informative. Crapster

------------------

[This message has been edited by CrappieTom (edited 04-08-2003).]

We have had open water here in the Rochester area for about three weeks now on lakes and the backwaters of the Mississippi are all clearing out nicely. You would probably have to go search for ice here now. And let me tell you, it is a lot nicer to be sitting in the boat than standing on an ice cube. I do not envy anyone who still has ice!! Crapster

------------------

In the afternoon, after the sun has a chance to heat up the shallows, go try the shallowest muddiest bays you can find. It doesn't take long for those fish to enter the bays when you have sunny days like we are having now. I usually try everyday because you won't believe the difference a day can make.

------------------
Mille Lacs Guide Service
www.millelacsguideservice.com

Our consistant weather is going to make a huge difference in where to look for them now. Very early and very late in the day I would look for them over or near the deeper water. As the day warms, start looking shallower. If there is any wood in the area, it could be a key element to success. Crapster

------------------

Just so y'all will know, I got home from my favorite puddle a little bit ago. We found some 50 degree water and did real well on the craps with plastic and a 32nd ounce jighead under a small float. 10 fish came home,nothing under 10 1/2, nothing over 12 1/4....all males. Gonna make a fine mess tonight for din-din- Crapster

------------------

[This message has been edited by CrappieTom (edited 04-11-2003).]