• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Helmets for Children/Toddlers

Dragonsm

Year 1 with a sled is firmly under my belt, and my SRX has graduated from being a scary monster in my daughter's eyes to the blue machine she wants to ride with dad on this year.

She's still small enough (3 yo) where I'd feel most comfortable sitting in front with me as we either make laps around the yard or heading up and down the ditches in front of my parent's house.

With this new found love, she's also already told me she wants a "pink helmet with designs".....No problem here with that, as if she does truly enjoy the experience, I may look at picking her up a kitty kat for around the yard. (which she also wants "pink")

Where have you tend to find the best deals on a helmet for toddlers? Only reason I ask this question is with her growing like a weed....who knows how long she'll be in one size of a helmet.

Thanks,

Steve

Lightning-

Thanks for the response! I have looked a little bit around and what few helmets I found for "youth" helmets were still big and didn't have that snug fit.....

I remember growing up as a child getting the same type of snowmobile rides on a sled without helmets on either myself or the driver....but it was a different time back them.

I have instilled in her head the likes of seatbelts and pfd's and they are there for safety measures, and even "dad's" follow the same rules....so it was to my surprise this past weekend she saw the sled while up north and asked if she could ride on it this year....and then in the very next breath mention she would need a helmet because dad wear's a helmet.

I like the idea of a ski/snowboard helmet....open face (she won't feel "enclosed") yet still protective at a slow speed....

Thanks!

Steve

Steve,

Happy to see that last year was a success! If you find a helmet small enough to fit be sure that it keeps her warm, and maybe let her decorate it with her own stickers. At 3 yrs I would bet there are some around the house. Have fun this winter!

Or a skatebording helmet. My son now 15 crashed his bike two years ago on the last day of school racing home. He went over the handlebars and hit his head on the sidewalk. His helmet was a skateboarding style similar to the ski helmet list above. it comes down further on the back of the head to protect that area. He trashed the helmet, and went the next day and got the same helmet. Cant go wrong with extra protection.

Please double check the regs for what helmets would be legal. If snowmobiles are anything like ATVs in the helmet requirements, nothing less than a DOT or Snell2000 approved helmet would suffice.

Bicycle, snowboarding or skateboarding wouldn't be legal unless they were labeled with the above mentioned certifications.

There have been new helmets recently on the market that are geared more towards children so they're not trying to support the larger helmets that adults wear.