• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Getting bucks MAD question!

Meat-Run

OK experienced deer hunters believe it or not last Sunday I found two scrape lines with a total of 15 scrapes by two seperate deer. I have an idea that I've heard and need some advice to see if this infact works. By taking another buck urine and putting in a major scrape will this "p@ss-off" the buck enough to frequent the scrape more? My objective is to put a camera over his scrape to see what caliber deer he really is does this work?

Thanks for any experiences that you have by making bucks MAD!

Meat-Run

You could try that... or make a mock scrape or series of mocks adjacent to his scrape line. He'll think another buck has moved in and hopefully will check the area with increased frequency and hopefully during shooting light. Once a buck hits your mocks once, you shouldn't have to freshen it anymore as every buck in the area will probably visit it. Your trail cam will tell the story. I usually just make one main one in an area where there's tradionally been a perennial scrape for years. I'll open it up... break off a few licking branches and pee in it and call it good. The deer, does included will take it over. My best trail camera photo I've captured came at this location back in '09. Good luck!

full-9397-12227-1(3).jpg

You may get a picture of him trying this... I just personally think its too early to really get him angry and come trotting in in daylight. They still have some sense and are not rut crazed nuts yet.

Scrape hunting is tricky and unpredictable at ANY time or year. I just think its to early, their hormones are not directed toward fighting off competition yet. It may be fun to see what pics you get at night though!

Try it! what do you have to loose! Make me eat my words grin Its probably not unwise to think out-of-the-box more often to capitalize on situations like yours.

good luck!

I know from past experiences that scrape lines are very unpredictable I'm just trying to get him to come more often just so I can see what caliber deer he is (on camera). My stand is in a neck-down leading right to his scrapes but unlikely will I see him during daylight. This is all unpressured land that i'm just learning and hope to see what these deer do so I can pattern the bucks and does.

thanks and I'll keep you posted...with pictures hopefully.

mr

I agree, we're a solid month from peak scraping. I'd focus more on a food source for the next few weeks and then make an attempt with an "intruder".

Question in regards to this.......don't the bucks actually start to establish dominance of an area as soon as they break up out of the bachelor groups they are in during the summer months and establishment of breeding dominance occurs during pre-rut/rut?

Your question is a good one. Yes, you can get a buck "mad". But the answer right now is, it is probably too early for this to work. Despite what alot of people believe, deer will actually use scrapes for a majority of the year in some cases. Obviously it is far more common to see scrape activity just prior to the breeding phase of the rut, but deer will scrapes to communicate and mark territory at other times. In fact, does will use scrapes too. Right now, bucks are just starting to disperse and bachelor groups are breaking up, and most bucks will be used to spending time with other bucks - i.e., they won't get upset "smelling" another buck. Give it a month or so, and you could probably catch the bucks that are using the scrapes in a more fired up state. I put up a camera every October on a perennial scrape and usually get several pics of 10 or more bucks working the scrape over. Its a great way to get pictures of different bucks.

Question in regards to this.......don't the bucks actually start to establish dominance of an area as soon as they break up out of the bachelor groups they are in during the summer months and establishment of breeding dominance occurs during pre-rut/rut?

From my experience this is what I've noticed as well Musky, but I do think normally these fresh scrapes in early to middle September are usually the younger bucks... However I did read an article a few years ago (sorry can't remember the source) that mentioned making mock scrapes and burring a film canister full of scent covered with nylon early in September/Oct. can however induce earlier hormonal activity or curiousity amoung bucks of all ages.

my 2c go allin and use the kitchen sink, see what happens

Actually most of this is sorted out while in the bachelor groups. Its just once bucks start traveling out of their home range during the pre- rut thats when theres often confrontations because these deer are not familiar with one another and testosterone levels are getting high. However this time is not yet.

My past attempts to get bucks mad usually send them running in the other direction so now I try and catch them by total surprise.

On the dominance thing, on 2 different occasions I have seen bachelor groups of mature bucks in mid Oct. Other than that I don't have any proof but I suspect they kind of group up again just before the rut picks up and work out their own little pecking order. I do think some dominance is set during the summer bachelor months but I don't know that they go all out with the soft antlers.