• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

I want to start a couple of food polts on my dads land. We have 60 acres to work with and i have a couple of spots picked out. Im looking to do some smaller plots due to the minimal amount of land, lookin at about 1/2 acre plots max. Im new to this so i have no idea where to start. What im looking to get out of it is of course and attractant but most importantly better nutrition. Im looking to plant something that is gooing to sprout in early spring and stay green all through the 200 day antler growing season as to give the best nutrition i can so we can get some healthier racks. I should also let you know that i hunt agriculture. I usually have either soybeans or corn on the property so theres no shortage of food. Im just lookin for something to grow bigger racks and attract deer to our property seeing how competion on surrounding properties is stiff.

My main questions are 1- What should i plant to get the best nutrition that will grow big racks? 2- What company should i go with? 3- Where can i go to find out more info on how to and when to plant etc.? Any other info would be greatly appreiciated!

I'd say clover is your best bet ---- it can be a bit slow to sprout initially, but it's a perennial so it comes back every year and should be green right away in the spring as soon as the snow melts. And clover is high in nutritional value.

The deer on my place are in my clover spring, summer and fall (there's no agriculture in my area, just forests and food plots).

I like how Whitetail Institutes Imperial Clover does for me, but I've also planted many other less expensive, not "brand name" clovers, and done well with them too. For deer you want a white or especially ladino clover.

Get some clover growing on your land, than get as much thick cover created as possible. You say you're in ag country, so it'd be hard to improve your summer nutrition. It doesn't sound like you are interested in a fall kill plot, nor have the acreage for an overwinter plot. Clover is probably as good as it gets for a spring food.

Than increase your cover and get some of those bucks to a decent age. That is how you will see the biggest improvement in antler size.

One of the absolute best protein rich food plots you can put in is Cow Peas. The deer destroy them and they are very high in nutrition, especially protein which will have an impact on the health of the deer and thus better racks and better lactation from the does.

The down side is that it is an annual and will need to be planted each spring. The upside is that it is also great to help build up the soil with organic matter and feed it through green manure when worked back into the soil. Then you can put a fall plot in mid-august and again give the deer a great food source and nutrition base for the fall and going into the winter. More work than a 'perennial' plot, but more attractive in the end.

While we have clover plots and trails all over the property, and they do get hit... there are 'better' options out their for nutrition and palatibilty to the deer. Clover should also be mowed 3 times a year to keep it short and tender sprouts continually coming. If it gets 'woody' deer have little interest in it. Make sure you keep the weeds down the 1st year or you will have a lot of trouble with the plot in subsequent years.

I'd do a couple of plots with different plants and see what the deer in your area prefer and go from there. Make sure to do a soil test and correct the soil prior to seeding or your work may be for naught.

Good Luck!

Ken

Do the cow peas withstand browsing and regrow, or are they done for once a deer eats the plant? I've planted a few blends with peas in them, and the peas never seem to be around for very long. Have never done a planting of peas only though.

One of the good things about clover is the more it's browsed the better for it, in terms of generating tender new growth on the plants.

Continusal grazing of young plants would probably doom them. It would be best to liquid fence the plot for a few weeks to get it up and going. Once growing they will take the same amount of grazing as soy beans. Here is a snippet from an article on cow peas:

In Africa, tests show cattle's weight gain doubles when cowpea fodder is added to their diet, Payne said.

"I think producers are looking for a high-protein forage crop," he said. "There's a reason cowpeas are called 'cow' pea. Earlier on, cows grazed it throughout the South."

The protein value of cowpeas ranges from 22 percent to 30 percent, Payne said.

It's good stuff for helping hte overall health of your deer. Plus as posted it really helps with the health of your soil.

Good Luck!

Ken

Oh boy do we need rain! It's gonna be tough for those who got there plots in late to get some moisture for germination and more for growth before the cold sets in!

Our's while up is stuck at 2-3 inches and without moisture the fertilizer has not kicked in and pushed the growth... The forecast is not looking to good for moisture this week either... If you know of a good rain dance, maybe do a fella a favor and get out there tonight!

I can't believe a cold front like this one coming through has no moisture associated with it! seems like since Irene hit land, it boogered us into a dry patttern. Wish I had gotten the seed in 7 days earlier as the week we were trying to put them in, was wet actually took us a week longer than intended because of the rain.

Well here's to wishing everyone of good slow soaking rain!

Good Luck!

Ken

I've watered garden, mowed lawn, left hay out, done about everything I can think of to make it rain. Ya know what though, I bet if someone would wash my truck and detail it for me that would probably do it. Yeah, that's the ticket! wink

I do not know of a Round up ready cow pea... but they are a pretty aggressive grower and generally outcompete weeds. Works great to plow back into the soil in July for green manure and further eliminating the ability of weeds to set seed... then a fall plot.

Good Luck!

Ken

they need warm soil, so mid may should work fine... they do not do well in cool soil and are not very cold tolerant plants. They are actually a member of the black-eyed pea family... which do well down south... They grow quick up here though so the later planting date generally shouldn't set them back.

Good Luck!

Ken

I couldn't answer that 100% sure, but my guess would be that the dried stem, no. Basically just straw. Maybe they'd eat a little of the seed head, but can't imagine it would be a major draw. I leave a 1/2 acre portion of rye grain up for the turkeys and song birds and I do not see deer touch it at all. Some of the seed drops and gives an instant shot of green in the spring.

We also plant winter wheat on some plots and plow it in mid spring to green manure the soil and get beans in over the top of that... They love the tender young wheat plants.

Good Luck!

Ken