• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Eye Dominance

jnorm1984

Just wondering if I'm alone in this. I am left eye dominant, shoot my gun left handed, but shoot my bow right handed, and am right handed. I've been flinging arrows at deer for 12 years and really shoot pretty well. In fact I think I shoot my bow better than my gun. But could I really shoot better by trying to switch to a left handed bow after all these years? Anyone else in the same boat?

Thanks!

If you close your left eye tight when you shoot you probably will be okay. On the other hand, a good friend of mine was in the same boat you are. He finally switched to a left handed bow after about 20 years of right handed shooting. Took him a couple years to get comfortable with it, and now he shoots better than he ever did right handed.

I dont shoot a bow, but have slug hunted and bird hunted for years. I'm right eye dominant, left handed, shoot my gun left handed and have done very well each hunting season for the past 17 years. I guess I have never thought about even trying to shoot right handed, to me it would be very akward, but I'm sure I could get use to it. But I dont want a nice 160 class buck running by and not be "comfortable" with how I'm shooting.

Surprisingly, there are a fair amount of people that are L eye dominant but shoot R handed. Where eye dominance can play a role is in lower light conditions. When using your dominant eye you have a true focal point when aiming and should be able to keep both eyes open whereas when using your nondominant eye you will have to squint or close one eye to gain a true focal point.

Tunrevir~

I am also left eye dominate and do as you do except I shoot from either sider with my rifle, really nice to do as I don't need to move much in stand for shots on either side of me. I too, feel if it works for you why change,unless you would feel more comfortable to use your dominate eye.