• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Sick puppy

Look-A-Like

My 8 month old Lab woke me in the middle of the night with a bad case of diarrhea. For any of you guys that have NOT experienced it I will spare you the details it wasn’t pretty site. My question is can anyone tell me what may have caused this sudden illness? I have not changed dog food and she never gets table scraps, the only time yesterday she was out of my site was during our daily trip to the WMA for a swim and some training. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Worms.

Sounds exactly what my pooch had at that age. He had awful diarrhea when we were down to the cities to visit relatives during the winter. Had to stop about six times on the way back to Fargo to let him out -- and it was about -20 with a 35-mph wind. Not fun.

Bring a fresh sample of his waste to a vet and they can run a test. Unless you've recently had him de-wormed, that would be my No. 1 guess.

Bad water at the WMA is a good guess. Warm water creates an explosion of all kinds of organisms and a good gulp of that can throw the gut off track. Some dry toast rice and boiled hamburger for a few days should turn it around...

Good Luck!

Ken

Bad water at the WMA is a good guess. Warm water creates an explosion of all kinds of organisms and a good gulp of that can throw the gut off track. Some dry toast rice and boiled hamburger for a few days should turn it around...

Good Luck!

Ken

Everytime I take her swimming in the creek she seems to gulp down creek water so that could very well be the problem. Do you mix the toast, rice and burger with her regular food? Thanks for the help.

nope... No reg food. Skip a meal to help her insides settle down. Then a piece of toast, 1 cup of boiled brown rice and 1 cup of boiled hamburger mixed together. Do that for 2-3 days and she should be back to normal.

Good Luck!

Ken

My lab had the same thing at 8 months. It was actually some kind of bacteria that we got some powder to put on this dog food and it fixed him right up.

hope all goes well..

Thats the meds for Giardia, which is an intestinal parasite.

Normally it would take more than a day or two to get to the diarrhea stage with giardia, so hopefully Labs solution works for you. If it doesn't, you only need to bring in a stool sample for the vet to test.

Oh boy is she going to love you!

We call it 'medicine'... they call it heaven!

When I got Maggie I never thought she would be eating better than me. smile

Pup is feeling a lot better this morning her new gourmet diet must be helping.

Thanks everyone for the help.

My lab pup got it a couple times around that age...went 3 times in his kennel one afternoon - yuck! Never lasted more than 24 or 36 hours though and I never took him in. Probably just like humans, they get a bug and it runs its course rather quickly. I would guess at that young age their immune system is not fully developed either. Mine got a few weeks ago too even though he's 20 months now. If it lasts for very long it's probably cause for concern.