• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Wade Belak Dead and Dustin Byfuglien gets a BWI

spearchucker

^^^^TROLL^^^^

Anyway, it's odd that so many of these enforcers are dying.

Boogey - Overdose

Rypien - I heard suicide

Belak - unknown yet

Buff isn't really an enforcer, just a beast of a defenceman.

Makes you wonder if these problems they are having are related to pummeling each other for years.

I think it is bad news for old school hockey, 3 guys all enforces dying in 1 off season. All active nhlers too right?

Just makes me think fighting will be gone from the nhl soon. And replaced with a bunch of cheapshots and chippy hockey.

As far as buff, whocares. Better a boat then a car. If your not fishing, what else do you do in a boat.

I would think there is a little more to it, not much tho. Can they randomly stop u and give you a breath test....

Wade Belak's death is a tough thing to hear in the shadows of Boogie and Rypien's passing. I'm really curious what kind of discoveries they find with this concussion research in 5-10 years.

To do away with fighting in the NHL would be an awful decision, I agree with you scavre that the sport would be filled with cheap shots and gameplay would suffer immensely.

As for Buff, I don't care too much either. He's still a heck of a defensemen. It's a young and stupid mistake, I'm sure he'll learn from it.

I don't think that getting rid of fighting is going to solve these types of issues. Fighting has been a large part of the NHL's history, so why would it cause this now? I really hope that's not the outcome of all of this.

A better outcome would be to get guys to seek help instead of going this route.

I was reading that Belak was a stand up guy that was pretty low key and just an all around good guy. There must be something that effects these guys mentally after they go from being everyones favorite and keeping up with the pressures of the NHL to normal suburban home life. At least that seems to be what happened with Rypien and Belak. Boogy was told to take the rest of last season off by the NY Rangers coach because they didn't need him after his concussion. Depression, Alcohol and Oxy Contin are not a good mix.. But this kind of thing could happen to any pro athelete, it just so happens that it is 3 enforcers. I wonder if the 3 of these guys were friends. If they take fighting out of the NHL, I will stop watching and go to College and High School. I don't think it can be done, it is already too strict as it is.

I don't think that getting rid of fighting is going to solve these types of issues. Fighting has been a large part of the NHL's history, so why would it cause this now? I really hope that's not the outcome of all of this.

A better outcome would be to get guys to seek help instead of going this route.

Possibly it is the natural outcome of what one thinks when on ice not being left on the ice. If you can't dominate within the rules, and someone runs you over, you drop the gloves and have at it. You spend your time in the penalty box, and then get back in the game. No problems, just part of the game. In fact, if you do it a lot you may become popular and help sell tickets. And take a key opponent out of the game.

If you are off ice and something or someone in life runs you over, you cross the boundaries of life, drop the gloves, tip the bottle, pop the pills and have at it. Problem is that you are not playing hockey. In real life, instead of the penalty box, you may be in jail for assault, DWI, BWI, narcotic charges, etc if you are fortunate. Others end up in a box 6 foot under, and never get back in the game. Unfortunately this happens at all levels of the sport.

Head injuries causing brain damage may definitely be a part, but my grandfather played pro hockey, such as it was, in the twin cities back in the 1920's. Not much equipment, missing all his front teeth from taking a puck to the mouth. They got knocked around a lot back then, and had their share of fights, but didn't have anywhere near the problems off ice that you see today. He said that you left it on the ice. He also said the ones who lacked the skill and self control were the first to fight, as they had run out of options. Fighting resulted from intensity spilling over. Now it seems almost like fighting in hockey is a separate sport that is used as a planned strategy to win games in place of hard clean hits. And as entertainment for fans.

I think a lot has to do with the players internal values and approach to life in general. And either that they think they have run out of options or think that they can handle the consequences. Hopefully a way will be found to make them realize they have better options than the choices they are making and encourage them to do so. And that they can't handle the consequences.

My condolences to the families for their losses.

lakevet