• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What test line?

I'm respooling my panfish rigs for fishing the hardwater, what's your favorite line for ice fishing crappies and sunfish? I primarily fish crappies and walleyes in the winter, and I want a good line that is strong enough for both, but light enough to use with the smaller crappie jigs. Thanks!

I like Berkely's Micro Ice and Cold Weather in 2 or 3lb test for crappies. Very limp but strong. Should work for both bluegills and crappies too.

Good Fishin, Matt.

Is 6 lb test too heavy for Crappies? I've used it in the past and have done very well on the crappies, I also don't break off jigs on walleyes. Since most of my crappie fishing is done late afternoon to late evening, I've just spooled 6 lb in the past and figured that the fish can't see it in the dark anyways. How much of a difference would I even notice dropping down to 4 lb vs. 6 lb test?

Last year I used 2 lb. micro ice for all my panfishing, and it worked great for all types of panfish. I caught mostly bluegills, but also some 10-11 inch crappie, perch, and a few 10 inch white bass. The only break I had was in a fiesty battle with a very large crappie, I think it must have been at least 14 inches. I got it up to the ice three times but couldn't get it through my hole as it would turn sideways and then charge back down to the bottom again. Finally on the third try it jerked its head and snapped my line. Oh well, I guess everybody needs a story about the big one that got away. I like the 2 lb. test because it's so thin and sensitive but still gets the job done for panfish, but 3 lb. test is almost the same diameter. I may try some 3 lb. this year and see what happens.

If you're fishing with a reel that has a QUALITY drag and your in the house mostly, I go with 2lb on a noodle rod. If you're outside mostly I'd go up to 4lb. I've caught 2 LM Bass over 5 pounds on 2lb Test and MANY MANY others under that. Seems like my numbers improve with the lighter line. Keep the hooks sharp, drag light and enjoy!!

I have one rod for panfish with 4lb dark brown ice line it is light and very hard to see. And for the other rod i have 6lb for the bigger fish. Although if i get to big of a fish on. i have to remember to take it easy and ware the fish out cause the line is light and know one wants to lose a nice fish.

2-LB yellow stren for sunfish and crappies. I dont know if any of you have tried this but rigged with a good graphite rod, this combination can really detect light bites. The key is to watch the kinks in your line they will straighten out with the slightest tap. It also works great for crappies as crappies always seem to feed up you will see the line go limp on the fall.

I have had good luck this winter with 1lb diameter-4lb test Fireline. Thin, but tough enough not to lose a northern if one happens to hit. I have troubles with Vanish twisting up. Does anybody else experience this or am I just putting it on wrong? I also have troubles with knots staying put on it.

Bushwacker, I use 2 lb vanish on my winter rods and I have no trouble with it twisting up. If you put in on wrong you may have touble at first. I you do put it on wrong, pull some off by hand and then reel it back on. It does jump off the spool really good after you first spool it up. But, this helps get your line back down the hole fast.

Most of the problems people have with Vanish are right after they spool it up. Give it some time and you will be very happy you did. I use 4 lb on my panfish reels in the summer and 6 lb on my walleye rods, 8 lb for leaders, droppers, tip-ups and spinner rigs.

As for the knots slipping. I use a Trilene knot and I do not wet the line. I have never had one slip. If I use any other knot, I would recommend wetting the line before cinching it up. Scott Steil

I don't recommend putting anything bigger then 8 lb on a spinning reel. That is where the problems come in. Hope this helps. Scott Steil