• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Look at the camera or the fish?

It seems like the new trend in fish photo's on TV in books and mags is for the fisherperson to look at the fish instead of at the camera. To me this seems a little odd as you miss the big smile shown in their eyes! smile What say you?

Either, with his attention span! I am a cellphoneographer and far from a photographer, not very good pics technical wise, but still an example of how both ways have merits. The first few shots in any sequence seem to catch the real emotion the best, regardless of which way one is facing.

full-27018-11405-2011_08_13_19_18_40_562

full-27018-11406-2011_08_13_19_21_11_143

full-27018-11407-2011_07_16_15_16_56_185

full-27018-11408-2011_07_17_09_11_28_133

full-27018-11411-2011_06_06_08_35_00_604

full-27018-11413-2011_06_05_17_59_39_95.

Those bass guys know all the tricks shocked So was that gillzilla you caught really only 7 inches?

Ha, it's hard to play angles with a fish in your palm. But I did try a few different positions with my fingers for a couple pics.

For fish pics I try and keep a few things in mind;

Hide your hands as much as possible.

Try different angles when holding the fish, the fish doesn't have to be in a vertical or horizontal position.

Same with the camera position, I've tried some looking down/up at the subject angles lately.

Take a bunch of pics, take a bunch of pics, take a bunch of pics. With that said, and the subject matter at hand, I keep the fishes health in mind. I'll put the fish back in the water (lake/livewell) for a breather inbetween shots. In my boat, most fish that are pic worthy are also release worthy.

And for the record, that Gillzilla might of cracked 10", but I did not get a accurate measurement.

The bass above went 20 7/8" not 21" and was 6 lbs even. I've never been one to play the "mine is bigger than yours" game. I catch what I catch, personal bests are what I'm after. But it can be fun and mess with pics to make a nice fish appear nicer. smilewink