• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

is a 4x4 fishouse hard to make?

mrpike1973

hi i'm thinking of making a 4x4 spear house out of 2x2s and 1/4 plywood. i only have a drill and hand saw. is this hard to do and would the cost be under $100. i found plywood about $10 a sheet 2x2s $1.50 each am i unreallistic in this goal thanks

i dont see why not, how big of a whole do you plan on putting in there? If your only doing 4x4 that doesnt leave you with a ton of roof if you did a 3x2 thats a pretty narrow place to sit. Just something to think about but i just did my 4x6.5 house fold down and with all the lumber screws hinges etc it was like $75 and i did thicker plywood and a few 2x3

I made a spear house 4x5 and I think it is too small. The one I normally use is 4x6 and it is better for me. When the grandkids come they are too small though. A 5x7 or a 6x8 are nicer when there are more then one in the house. I don't think you can keep it under 100 bucks though. I paid 106 bucks for just the stove in my 4x6.

September2008BobbyandSpearshack002.jpg

September2008BobbyandSpearshack016.jpg

Here is my most recent 4 X 6 coming together. I like the size since I prefer spear alone. There is plenty of room to spend a full day when I get the time to do that. I can take my wife or one of our children along and sit side by side with no problem for a half day or so. It is light enough to handle moving around by myself, yet heavy enough to be stable in any winter storm.

Consider bracing the corners for strength, use treated 2 x 4s and 1/2" plywood for the floor, put on a metal roof and attach some runners made out of treated 2 X 8s so you can slide it on and off your trailer, hook it up to the truck or wheeler to pull around the lake. Put in a few shelves for thermos, food, etc, some hooks for hanging a few things, some insulation sheets between the studs, a piece of carpet, a good stove and you will enjoy even the most cold and windy days out on the lake.

I may make the next one with a different hole configuration, like depicted in the famed Kuba print "Darkhouse Spearing." In that layout, of what looks to be a 4 X 6 house, the hole is horizontal to the length of the house with the stove on the other side of hole, farthest from the door. I don't know though, in the layout I have here, all your stuff is behind you and tends to stay in the house rather down the hole!

People talk about covering everything inside in black and eliminating any little crack of light, but I wouldn't bother too much. I have pink Owens insulation in mine, as well as two small circular vents, and the fish don't seem to mind at all. Some days they come in, and other days they don't, or hang up outside the hole. That is just the way it is and always will be, no matter how dark the house is. With the door shut, it is plenty dark for me to see them as well.

I would say that the total cost is going to be at least 400, that is with stove and all. It can be easily made in a weekend. I would borrow at least a circular saw for ease of ripping plywood. Good Luck and send us a few shots if you get around to building it.