• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Looks like N.D. is giving in

Steve Foss

You could see this happening. I hope spirit lake gets heard on this but remember Standing Rock Reservation has a say in this as well which they never cared to vote on(I'm talking about the Sioux Reservation vote put forth by North Dakota school board to keep the Sioux nickname two years ago that NEVER happen). The NCAA will use that to there argrument. Hey, I hope the nickanme stays but I just don't think its gonna happen. This does put a new twist on it. The drama goes on annd on ect....

Is it hockey season yet. Drop the puck

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like the NCAA, don't both to ask the "offended" if they actually are offended because they know better than the rest of us.

If Standing Rock does care to vote on the matter they must not care either way, let the Spirit Lake vote count for something.

I really hope they can figure this out soon, something just doesn't feel right defending North Dakota over and over again.

If Standing Rock does care to vote on the matter they must not care either way, let the Spirit Lake vote count for something.

In short. That will be the same argrument(maybe said in more words than yours), we will hear for the next few years

Bear been doing any scouting for deer yet this season? I think bow season coming in a week or two over here.

So the only ones offended by the name are the NCAA committee members? Or are there other tribes in play that were not mentioned?

Two tribes have standing in the NCAA's eyes. The Spirit Lake Tribe (wholly within N.D.) and The Standing Rock Tribe (part in N.D., part in S.D.)

Surveys showed that, had the Standing Rock Tribal Council allowed a referendum, about 67 percent of Standing Rock voters would have voted to approve the use of the name. Same percentage as voted to approve it at Spirit Lake. No vote was allowed on Standing Rock because a couple of people on the tribal council were against the nickname and did not want to see the voters contradict them. But as mentioned, Standing Rock long ago gave UND its blessing and permission to use the nickname, so actually both tribes have granted permission.

It just has felt like there's something else going on with the NCAA officials who kicked off this mess. I don't have any idea what agenda they might have, but it's smelled very bad for a very long time.

I'm curious what Spirit Lake will do next. It's quite telling that that NCAA's arrogance runs so deep that they aren't even interested in listening to the very people whose sensibilities they were "defending" in taking their original stance. The NCAA doesn't care what UND thinks, and now it appears they don't care what the Sioux think. I think the NCAA only cares what IT thinks. But you can't blame an organization. Actions such as this always boil down to a handful of individuals (or only one) with the power to call the shots. In this case, who are those individuals within the NCAA?

Yeah, it'll be interesting, all right.

It sounds like the NCAA is a dictatorship grin. I don't know I think there pride will be hurt too much if this gets overturn by a vote of the people. I'm not even emotionally invested in this anymore its between the tribe and the NCAA. I hope the Res puts the NCAA in there place.

I never got to hear the story on why Standing Rock never had the vote. I thought they just never got organize in time.

I have copies of several documents that were e-mailed to me a few days ago.

It looks like the Spirit Lake Tribe is going to request an injunction stopping UND, the state board of higher ed and the NCAA from retiring the Sioux nickname. The petition also requests the granting of rights to the tribe for license, use and merchandising of the Fighting Sioux nickname.

The petition is to be filed in Spirit Lake Tribal Court in Fort Totten. As of right now, I don't know if the petition has been filed. I believe on Friday it was awaiting a resolution by the tribal council.

Looks like the Sioux are determined to be heard on this. Seems appropriate, since it's their name. wink

Bear been doing any scouting for deer yet this season? I think bow season coming in a week or two over here.

Oh ya very excited for bow season, less than a month in MN and I am just about alwasy in scouting mode. One of these years I will have to check out ND for their bow opener - maybe get me one of those velvet bucks.

Borring, get rid of name and be done with it. Is there nothing else to talk about in nd.

Maybe it offends other sioux or other indians........this has dragged and dragged. So maybe the sioux can get the merch license and profits of the logo, then the indians can profit and the school can loose revenue.

"]Borring, get rid of name and be done with it. Is there nothing else to talk about in nd.

Maybe it offends other sioux or other indians........this has dragged and dragged. So maybe the sioux can get the merch license and profits of the logo, then the indians can profit and the school can loose revenue.

HSO is about sharing information. Some people are interested in this topic and some are not. No one but you is controlling your hand, so it's really no challenge for you not to click on a topic you aren't interested in. wink

Guess you weren't so bored with the topic that you didn't read it and leave your "savre was here" spoor, were you? gringringrin

Oh ya very excited for bow season, less than a month in MN and I am just about alwasy in scouting mode. One of these years I will have to check out ND for their bow opener - maybe get me one of those velvet bucks.

I don't know how Minnesota is about getting on private land but as for North Dakota with a bow I haven't had a problem especially in December. I only bowhunted a handful of times, borrowing a buddy's bow but late season is a blast pushing for deer. You should really look into to North Dakota late season, the big ones are so easy to find hardly any pressure if any. I got to buy a bow next season. We chased a 6X6 last year from one farmstead to the next. He's still around too but I'm sure somebody will get him this year.

I don't know how Minnesota is about getting on private land but as for North Dakota with a bow I haven't had a problem especially in December. I only bowhunted a handful of times, borrowing a buddy's bow but late season is a blast pushing for deer. You should really look into to North Dakota late season, the big ones are so easy to find hardly any pressure if any. I got to buy a bow next season. We chased a 6X6 last year from one farmstead to the next. He's still around too but I'm sure somebody will get him this year.

Huh, even a Sioux fan is bored by the discussion. slap.gif

hijack.gifgringrin

Sorry dude smile. Didn't mean to hijack the thread. this is a outdoor HSOforum first and all the other mubo jumbo a distant second grin. Alright enough of the side talk.

I really think the name issue is finally being fought by the people that it matters to most as you mention in a indirect way Steve. As a local Grand Forks guy the name does remind me of the history of North Dakota and I do have pride in the fighting Sioux nickname but if its offensive the Sioux tribe the name should be gone that simple. I didn't think that the governor or the state legistrative ever had any business in getting involved. Thats where I got of thought it was just best to let it go. In my own 5 minute judgement mind I have to say the name is gone but I've been wrong before.

Savre is here...just want it to end. Down here it is the only thing people relate und to now. Its becoming a joke. is it done, they lost their name, nope got it back etc..

How about the ncaa worries about all the criminals in basktball and football and leaves the one respectable sport left alone.

Brooks, we should get a beaver musky trip together this fall. Otherwise I'm gona do ice fishing and a beaver game. I wanna see the rink.

"]just want it to end.

Me too.

But the proper end is not what NCAA wasteoids dictate. The NCAA is just one iteration of arrogance and Big Government. Since they decided they were acting in the Dakota/Lakota's best interests (without asking the Dakota/Lakota what they thought) I think I'll just sit back and wait to see what the coming court action has to say.

The Dakota/Lakota people have already decided, and the NCAA has ignored their decision.

As for me, a tiny speck upon the buttocks of this whole issue, I'm in no hurry.

I'm a fan and an alumnus of UND. Whether they call us the flickertails, Sioux, Blizzards, etc. . . I'm blowing the UND horn. You can't change who you are.

Me too.

But the proper end is not what NCAA wasteoids dictate. The NCAA is just one iteration of arrogance and Big Government. Since they decided they were acting in the Dakota/Lakota's best interests (without asking the Dakota/Lakota what they thought) I think I'll just sit back and wait to see what the coming court action has to say.

The Dakota/Lakota people have already decided, and the NCAA has ignored their decision.

As for me, a tiny speck upon the buttocks of this whole issue, I'm in no hurry.

I'm a fan and an alumnus of UND. Whether they call us the flickertails, Sioux, Blizzards, etc. . . I'm blowing the UND horn. You can't change who you are.

Well said Steve. It's been a painful process, but everyone's voice needs to be heard.

Hey Shorelunch, not to hijack the topic or anything but I am looking for at least 3 tickets to the Beaver MTU series in Oct. my mom is coming up from colorado and really wants to go to a college hockey game!!

Back on topic wink - It's pretty hard to find private land to hunt - everyone I have talked to has family or friends that hunt their land so I pretty much gave up and hunt 100% public land. There are plenty of bucks to be had but you have to do your homework and not be affraid to get off the beaten path.

This Sioux mess could go on forever and I wouldn't care, Notre Dame on the other hand is pi$$ing me off.

Reading on Schlossman HSOforum, it sounds like Notre Dame going East is a long shot. So the other options are the new super conference or independent. I'm thinking there's no way Notre Dame will go independent which leaves Notre Dame going to the NCHC IF this info is true.

On the side topic Bear. Early season North Dakota would be cool with the chance of one in velvet. I still say late season is where its at for a monster. Why doesn't Minnesota open the season sooner?