• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

oh the wait for september!!

Abndoc

Well after a very fun spring turkey hunt with no bird to show for it, I've got the "fever" for fall hunting. Despite the awful temp, humidity and bugs, i couldn't take it anymore and ventured out for alittle pre-season scouting yesterday morning. The land I hunt in wisconsin is 220 acres, 1/2 of that cattail swamps, 80 acres of no-till crops, and the rest fingers of woods that run through it all. Last year was my first year hunting this property. The farmer that owns it, doesn't hunt at all, and has allowed me to do whatever I want out there. Last fall he left his corn in until christmas. I was able to harvest a nice 7pt out there last year. Well getting to yesterday, I went out about 8am. This year he has beans planted. Walked through one of the fingers of woods and found 2 nice bucks out feeding in the beans. Traveled down the finger to where I had one of my stands last year, and found a doe with 2 fawns feeding. Both sets of deer had no idea I was out watching them. A very nice breeze yesterday morning, allowing me to sneak in pretty close. Put out 2 trophy rocks, and 2 bags of swamp donkey at 2 different sites, and set up my cameras. After that litte venture out, the bugs, and temps did me in. Now I have to sit here and wait until next weekend when I plan on venturing back out, maybe putting up a few stands, and get my fix until the first morning in September, when we will all be back out, enjoying our passion.

You are a braver man than I. I do not go in the woods in July if I can help it. I hate bugs with a passion and I am to well insulated to play in the heat. As soon as we get back to a 50-60 degree morning I will go try and play catch up. Good luck with the pictures.

You are a braver man than I. I do not go in the woods in July if I can help it.

I don't touch the woods until opening day, all my scouting is done on those nice cool spring days, no bug, ticks and you can see everything just as it was last fall.

I have been really getting fired up lately, pretty sure it gets worse every year.

I was out in ND setting cams two weeks ago and I would bet big money that they have the worst mosquitos in the country right now. I was running through the fields and woods and there was still a cloud around me. That made it very difficult to get the cams in a good spot and stick around long enough to refresh mineral sites. It was good to get out there though and I am very anxious to see whats on the cams!

Oh, I am not scouting in July or August. I only hang or pick up stands as needed for bear hunting or checking cameras. My spots were picked and hung in April. I am good to go unless one of these storms blew down the wrong tree and took out a stand or changed the trail a bit. Heres to hoping it will not be 90 or 80 for that matter in September.

Hung a couple of portables in WI last Thursday morning. That's the first stand work I've done this year. Well I did put out new salt blocks at the end of June. Do most of the checking in August. Several have to be trimmed every year, found if I do it too soon the boxelder suckers actually grow back to the point of being a problem. Plus like others have said too many chances for storms to have blown trees down that need to be dealt with. Checking too early means not checked in a lot of cases I've found.

Put out four stands in the spring and trimmed. Three cameras on minerals, one to go. Four more stands to hang in the next few weeks. Takes to long for september to come, but I never feel totally ready.