• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lighting and Thunder!

muskiemanAD

I have a 6 year old Black lab. She has always HATED thunder, but it has got worse the last few years. It seems every other night there is a storm that rolls through and she is up at night, and needs to be next to you. Is there anything any one has did that they could share with me to calm a dog down during thunder. The vet told us benadryl, but you needs to give them it before the storm comes by a few hours. I'm willing to try anything, suggestions please!!!!

Any issues with guns? Plan ahead for storms so you can use it as conditioning. Engage pooch in its favorite activity during the storm. Only you know what the activity is. The thing that absolutely makes her wiggle. That should divert her attention and maybe get her used to it.

Some topnotch gundogs have these noise aversions. Fireworks are another biggie. Usually completely seperate from gun shyness. Storms also bring pressure changes and electrical charges that we are immune to but not so much fido.

I have the same problem my lab hates storms, she is 14 now so, just going with it, she hops in the bath tub (smart dog lol) Try the favorite activity during the storm, sounds like a great idea!

Kettle

You'll need to get her to associate storms with something positive. Like mentioned above start doing something super fun before the storm hits and keep at it throughout the storm, making sure to praise her while she isn't afraid.

Also try not to reinforce her fear, reinforce a positive reaction to the storm.

I haven't had to put any of this into action with storms as my vizsla couldn't care less. Fireworks do get a reaction but his reaction is to look up and watch the pretty colors with his tail wagging.

Thanks for the responses! If we are up during the day and a storm comes, I can deal with it. Its those storms that roll through at 3 am when were sleeping that are the problems! She has no problems with guns either, awesome upland bird dog!

Had a lab growing up, loved guns (because that meant falling squirrels!), and used to chase bottle rockets, but a little thunder and he would be whimpering at the door. My guess is that something about not being able to see the source fo the noise got to him or the vibrations.