• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Advise for point and shoot

My wife just returned home from her annual pilgrimage to the Gunflint trail. Of the 74 pictures she took, less then 30 are not blurred. She has had a Fuji point and shoot for about 3 years now and no matter how many little pointers I give her for stabilizing the camera she averages less then 50% of non blurred or distorted shots - always.

She was very disappointed when I downloaded her pictures. I just let them pass by on the computer screen without comment as we were viewing. Her excitement to share her adventure quickly turned to sadness as I bit my tongue...

Is there an animal (point & shoot) out there that would cooperate more with her wielding hand?

All advise is appreciated...

Thanks,

Scott

Is it possible she just has the settings messed up?

Otherwise, I've had good luck with my Kodak Easy Share.

Maybe worth going to a store that actually knows what they are talking about (like National Camera Exchange or a photography shop vs. one of the big boxes.

If it has a "sports" mode, she should leave it on that setting for outdoor photos that don't require flash. Soft/blurry pictures in P&S cameras usually are caused by slow shutter speeds, and the sports mode opens the aperture all the way and ensures the fastest shutter speed possible.

As mentioned, a monopod will also help. Even sports mode won't help if there's too little light for a decently fast shutter speed. She may want to invest in a lightweight tripod, which really kills hand shake well. She'd need to get used to operating the camera's timer if she wants to be in the photo.

Image stabilization is also a great tool. My wife's Canon P&S has it, and that has saved many a photo that would have been blurry otherwise.

I've had great luck with anything that says Canon on it. smile

Another thing to consider. Most P&S cameras have a focus function that you push the button halfway down to focus before fully depressing the button. If you don't do this, sometimes you end up with fuzzy photos.

Another thing to consider. Most P&S cameras have a focus function that you push the button halfway down to focus before fully depressing the button. If you don't do this, sometimes you end up with fuzzy photos.

Good thought. maybe she is just pressing the button down in one motion and not giving it time to focus and get a green light/box.

We are on our second Canon P&S and have had goodluck. My wife sometimes has trouble with blurry pics. When I watch her I see that she is pressing the button so hard the camera is shaking. The one time I was shooting at an indoor waterpark I was getting fuzzy pics and changed the setting to ISO 3200 and the problem was solved.

Thank you all for taking time to give advise and tips.

I conclude that most of you have seen her taking pictures as your descriptive accounts of her actions are spot on... and how did you know that she just hammers the button when taking a picture. wink

I'll pass along these tips as gently as I can. I have shared the half way depression of the button and wait for the green box to appear, but somehow it gets lost in the moment. whistle

Thanks again.

Scott

Thank you all for taking time to give advise and tips.

I conclude that most of you have seen her taking pictures as your descriptive accounts of her actions are spot on... and how did you know that she just hammers the button when taking a picture. wink

I'll pass along these tips as gently as I can. I have shared the half way depression of the button and wait for the green box to appear, but somehow it gets lost in the moment. whistle

Thanks again.

Scott

When you give her that gentle advice, tell her she needs to be as gentle with the shutter button as you just were with the advice. smile

Great advise Steve.

She's wonderful in many ways but technology is somewhat daunting for her.

We have 4 remote controls for the entertainment center e.g, TV, Video Disc Player, Comcast HD Box, etc. She uses all 4 controllers although I have programed one of the controllers to operate all needed functions and have given "Gentle Lessons" on how to operate...

I usually reprogram the master controller once a week because it somehow gets deprogrammed. cry

I know I'm not alone... wink

Thanks.

Scott