• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

bearing help very hot

mrpike1973

hi my trailer bearing inner seal was bad so i replaced it with a new one. bearings are all fine i'm sure i pushed to much grease in with the buddies. i tightened it down backed it off about 1/4 turn spun freely now after 10 miles driving its very hot i can hold my hand on it but not long. what did i do wrong it never got hot like this before i'm i safe to go on a 60 mile trip

i went back out and i think maybe it was to tight. so i backed it off just so i could line up the cotter key hole i put the cotter key in. the nut is loose if i go too tight it doesnt spin if i go back the nut is loose will the cotter key hold ok

I'd replace the bearing if you are able to ASAP, if you have to make the trip first, back em off another 1/8 to 1/4 turn and make sure theres enough grease. pick up a new bearing kit at your first available parts store, and replace it ASAP or when it fails. In these temps there will be some heat felt on the wheel even if your bearings are working properly, when they get too hot the grease will try to find a way out and leave a mess indicating there is imenent trouble. check both sides of the trailer see if one wheel is way hotter then the other to attempt to indicate if you have a pronblem. I always carry a spare bearing kit, a small jar of grease and the tools nessasary to replace the bearing on the road. ps leather gloves and latex gloves are in the "kit".

you could have had it a bit too tight, its easy to do. side on the bit too loose rather than the bit too tight side if thats where the cotter key fits in.

I'd probably replace them if they got real hot, loosing a bearing on a road trip is no fun. when you get some time inspect the bearing for damage if they look good keep the one that got a bit hot for your spare.

Bearings and races are cheap compared to the inconvenience of a roadside breakdown. I'd pull the hub apart and inspect the bearings and races. If they're discolored, i.e., bluish in color, junk 'em!! They got TOO hot!

I believe you had the nut just a tad too tight.

just so i understand this i drove 10 miles the hub was hot not boiling. are the bearings shot already i took them apart there not blue no pitting plenty of grease they run cool now after backing the nut off very confused

If you had the castle nut too tight you'll create a lot of fiction.

What is too tight? Turn the nut by finger till you can't tighten it any more. Now wiggle the tire at the same time tighten some more to be sure the bearings are setting in the races. Now put a wrench to the nut, if you go more then half a turn you should have put some ft lbs to the nut. At any rate once your sure the nut was snugged now back it off till you can turn it by finger again.

The tire should spin with zero resistance. Put the cotter pin in.

Just to be clear you have to pack the bearings by hand forcing grease through the bearings till you can see the grease coming through the other side and once packed and assembled the grease gun is just adding grease to the cavity and not packing the bearings.

just so i understand this i drove 10 miles the hub was hot not boiling. are the bearings shot already i took them apart there not blue no pitting plenty of grease they run cool now after backing the nut off very confused

You're probably good to go. I did much the same thing and just retensioned the castle nut properly and everything was fine.

If your bearings look good cosmetically, odds are good they're fine.