• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Icefishing Perch Lures

tulikow

I use a few different methods for perch. All of which have different presentations.

1) Jigging Spoons- Glow Devils, Buckshot Rattle Spoons, Kastmasters, pimples...

2) Swimming Lures- Rapalas, Nils, Salmo...

3) Search Lures- Hali's, trebleless spoon with 2-6 inch piece of mono, swimming lure with 2-4 inch mono. , except Hali, of which are accompanied by a small jig (ratso, shrimpo, fatboy...)

4) Just an ice jig. Horizonatal works well. Plain lead head, Genz worm...

5) Plain hook. Often overlooked but when worked with a minnow or packed with maggots, can be deadly.

Most of the time I like to start with a presentation that will attract fish from a distance. Most of the perch lakes I fish are large and you could be fishin a flat that is hundreds of yards long. Spoons, swimming lures, or search lures, are my first choices when starting my search. Once you locate the fish, then you can scale down or adjust to see what they want.

All of these can work at any given time. Its a good idead to have a wide variety of presentations when targeting perch. Once you find perch it can be relatively easy to catch them once you find out what they are feeding on. But then again, there has been times when perch have attacked whatever I put down the hole. Lets hope we have more fishing like that smile.gif

Feel free to drop me an e-mail and I can give you more details and info. Like if you have a certain lake in mind or whatever.

Good Fishin,
Matt

[email protected]
Catch-N Tackle
MarCum

[This message has been edited by MJ5 (edited 11-03-2003).]

I'm a big spoon fan with just the head of a minnow.

My Fav's are the buckshot Rattle spoon and the Phelp's Glow Spoon.

I start with the camera, checking my favorite flats looking for numbers. Once found I swiss cheese the area so you can move with the school as they mill around and feed.

I've had good luck with a heavy spoon called a Crusher and a minnow head when they are actively biting. Angel Eye Jr. work well for many waters. The Hali baited with waxworms and fished with a spring bobber works well for my dead stick rod. And on Mille Lacs, when the bite is neutral, I've had good luck with the smallest size[1/8th oz.]gold Cicada baited with waxies or eurolarva. I fish it with a small rounded bobber about 6 inches off the bottom. Lift it an inch, quiver it, and set it back on the bobber. Often, as soon as you set it down the cork will wiggle. set the hook immediately.When all else fails, that has gottn me a bunch of perch. Another good one is the Buckshot Rattle spoon. Take off the treble hook, tie on a 3 inch dropper with a single hook and bait with minnow heads.

Hey Derrick,Are you skinnin' chickens full time these days? (LoL) Have you tried jigging spoons with small,fresh water shrimp that you can buy at the store? I know you can buy live freshwater shrimp at Conaco in Isle-this stems from my Devil Lakes trips.
A new lure that really stands out in my mind as a new release is the Jig-a-Whopper lime green spoon in 1/8 th oz with a crappie head and waxies(or bio-worm) combo.This combo will clobber even the most intent, not to bite jumbo's. I have witnessed it right below my feet.Go figure.....

I like the shrimp(scuds) and may-fly larve(wigglers) used with plain thin wire hooks when they really get shy. Crappies and Bluegill love them too.

There was good success with the new JB lures rattling Varmit last weekend in Isle Bay. Many 12 inchers caught. 19 feet of water.

------------------
Mille Lacs Guide Service
320-293-3287
www.millelacsguideservice.com

Derick,Thanks again for the reply! Will be on the pond Mon after hitting a secret crappie hole in Aitkin on Sat.Then on to Winnie for a day and 1/2. We will then venture on the pond to find the jumbo's.Any suggestions as to the hot bite, or do I got to put the Honda on full gear all day? Gonna have to buy you a beer (or two) someday! Never while fishin' Am leaving Sat Morn, Hope to here back from you before then! Chicken Skinner, Jim