• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Boat seat installation

AnglerJake

I would probably just cut new pcs of wood. Before you fasten to the benches install the seat swivel from the underside of the board. The key here is getting the right size bolts, and keep in mind you're going to want a flat headed bolt so it doesnt get in the way between the bench and the wood.

So the bolts come up through the wood then through the seat swivel, get yourself some lock washers or locking nylon bolts (not sure if thats what they are called) and fasten to the wood, then you can install the seat to the swivel. Then fasten the board to the bench.

Or they make a clamping bracket for some seats but not sure if thats the best way to go I know the one on my buddies duck boat isnt that great of a setup. It clamps to the bench and has a swivel on it that fastens to the seat. The clamp gives if you lean over too far.

On my S-14, I first removed all the seats from the boat. Gave them a nice sanding (top and bottom) then refinished them with a few coats of a good grade marine spar varnish.

Attaching the seat bases gives you a few choices. I used "T" nuts and stainless steel hardware. Keep your initial pilot hole tight on the "T" nut and remember to put varnish on any "fresh" wood such as inside the drilled holes.

Hope this helps.

Here is what I have done and think it worls great. Wrap the plywood in vinyl (I used Dot Deco brand) and they look good and you will NEVER have to do any maintenance ever again. It is not slippery, and cleans off easy.

For the seats, the best looking and performing will be to get the pin style base and pin for the seat. You can do the brushed alum base, or the SS base. The SS is shiny clean and heavier, the alum is more dull and lighter in weight. Both work well. You can get them at any store. The cool thing is that the seat pin has a little spring under it, so there is a bit of built in shock absorption. Not much, but some. It also lets you remove the seats, or use two seats for three benchs, etc. so if you go alone, you can just take one seat - reduces weigth and less carp in the boat.

Easy installation, just a drill with one large hole saw, and a small bit for screw holes, and 6 screws. I would not recommend putting the taller pins in with just a bench seat, but it is possible for calm days. Good luck whatever you choose!

I had that problem on a S 16 i had years ago. I sanded and resealed the wood.( which was very solid yet!)I wanted to get up off the benches a little, so i bought 6in. seat bases. Bolted these to the bench ( i used stainless screws). then mounted my seats on those.

Here is what I have done and think it worls great. Wrap the plywood in vinyl (I used Dot Deco brand) and they look good and you will NEVER have to do any maintenance ever again. It is not slippery, and cleans off easy.

For the seats, the best looking and performing will be to get the pin style base and pin for the seat. You can do the brushed alum base, or the SS base. The SS is shiny clean and heavier, the alum is more dull and lighter in weight. Both work well. You can get them at any store. The cool thing is that the seat pin has a little spring under it, so there is a bit of built in shock absorption. Not much, but some. It also lets you remove the seats, or use two seats for three benchs, etc. so if you go alone, you can just take one seat - reduces weigth and less carp in the boat.

Easy installation, just a drill with one large hole saw, and a small bit for screw holes, and 6 screws. I would not recommend putting the taller pins in with just a bench seat, but it is possible for calm days. Good luck whatever you choose!

+1 on the pin bases. This way, the seats can be easily removed for storage/cover, or for replacement if that is ever necessary. If you only need one or two seats at a particular time, then the other(s) can be removed. You will have more flexibility...

Just wanted to say thanks again for all the help. I took the plywood off, sanded and varnished them, them bolted the pin bases on. Put the pin seat mounts on - think I'm really going to like it. Seats seam very solid. Another question. Has anyone ever used the Cabelas Anchor Rope Lock? I would like to be able to raise and lower my anchor without having to move to the front of the boat. Had the crank setup on another boat and wasn't real impressed. Thanks, Jake