• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

I'm heading out there in a few weeks to visit some relatives, and am interested in any tips for fishing the James River near town. I'd be happy catching anything but would like to tie into some catfish. Any decent shorefishing access spots to share, or bait tips? Thanks.

I get to Huron frequently but have never fished it myself. I alawys see people shore fishing below the dam/spillway in the city park down by the swimming pool.

With as much as that section of river floods it would be hard to locate any structure or hotspots as I am sure they change frequently.

You could also try to catch some fish at Lake Mitchell, would be a little bit of a drive south from Huron but its a great destination for cats.

Good luck

Yeah I always forget about Carthage, its a great little lake and what makes it even better is that it doesnt see much pressure.

You will get into some small cats there, but will probably have to sort through the bullheads smile But could also catch blue gill, northern and walleye.

Another tip would be to stop for bait at the Bait Box in Lake Preston, Bo will help put you on some fish. Great walleye bite going on Thompson right now as well.

In a normal year their is very good fishing for catfish right in town below the 3rd street bridge in town. This year the water is still very high and its going to be pretty hard to keep any bait on the bottm with the current. You might be able to go in the park a little ways down from the bridge and do ok. I have not tried for catfish much the last couple years but used to have the best luck with some cutbait. I'd usually cut a sheaphead up and use a chunk of meat. Otherwise worms normally worked too. If you have any questions let me know.

Cool. Yeah that was going to be my plan of attack, fish the 3rd St area with some cutbait. So the public land is along the west bank of the river only? Looking at a map photo, it looks like across the river on the east bank might be open for fishing too?

Their is public land on both sides of the river but the land on the west side extends further south. Normally I fish north of the bridge but that might not be possible with the current. Another thing to try would be if you go maybe another 100 yards north of the bridge and a bit north of the train trussel their are some culverts on the west side of the river that go under the road. With the water being high their is water flowing through the culverts pretty good. I know people were catch some walleyes their a few weeks ago and they were getting some small catfish their while jiggin. That spot would definetly be worth checking out and might be the easiest spot to fish with the water up so high.

The spring bite has been going on in Huron at 3rd St. for about 6 weeks now. The crowds of people continue to catch nice eaters from the river. The river has gone down about 16" in those 6 weeks. It seems with the lower flows the bite would be shutting down soon. If you go take lots of jigs and minnows, as there are plenty of snags to get hung up on. Good Luck.