• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

home alone puppy

Jordpederson

When ever i try to leave my 8 month old puppy alone he starts whining and barking like crazy. I live at a resort so i cant have him doing this when both my dad and i need to leave. Is there any way to help him kick this habit?

A simple tool I use all the time is to cover the crate door blocking his view. When he settles down take it off. When he carries on cover it. It does not take long and they realize they like a room with a view. Of coarse a couple shut ups or nos along with it helps.

i assume you leave her in a crate? if so, you could close the door and wait outside the door and wait a few minutes/seconds until she wines and open the door and give a few firm nos. or while you stay in the room with her, have someone walk out the door so she thinks you left, and as soon as she wines do the same thing. if you put her in her crate at night does she whine? or does she whine no matter what in the crate? just try to make the crate enjoyable (ex. hide treats in her crate, always keep the crate door open when your home so she goes in and out to check to see if treats are in there)

my pup used to whine in the crate when we got him about 7 weeks old, he only whined for about a week at night, but he would stop when we said 'NO'

and be sure never to let a her out when she is whining only when quiet; she'll catch on