• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Aerator pump ?

slammer

Changing out the old pump with a new one. What kind of sealant should be used on this? Can I use plain old silicone caulk? I'd like to increase the pump size also from a 500gph to 750 as long as the power draw is close to the same. Should I expect any issues with this?

I'd like to increase the pump size also from a 500gph to 750 as long as the power draw is close to the same. Should I expect any issues with this?

I can't speak for current draw.. I'm sure it's more but probably not significantly.

The only thing to be aware of when up sizing a live well pump is if your overflow drain can handle the increased flow. If your pump is pumping the water in faster than your overflow drain can handle it you'll have a wet boat.

marine_man

I replaced a bilge pump a while back because the plastic nipple broke. The old one was discontinued, so I couldn't get an exact match. The first time I used the new pump, it blew the fuse. Turned out the old pump was fused at 3A, the new one needed 4A. So you might have to swap out the fuse. Check it out before you need it.

Ron.

I replaced a bilge pump a while back because the plastic nipple broke. The old one was discontinued, so I couldn't get an exact match. The first time I used the new pump, it blew the fuse. Turned out the old pump was fused at 3A, the new one needed 4A. So you might have to swap out the fuse. Check it out before you need it.

Ron.

You really shouldn't be swapping fuses. That fuse was put there based on the wires used, not the pump. Make sure your wires can handle the current before putting different fuses in. or you'll have...

fire_engulfing_vessel.jpg

"That fuse was put there based on the wires used, not the pump. Make sure your wires can handle the current before putting different fuses."

FYI, both old and new pumps were wired with 16 ga. wire. And changing from a 3A to 4A fuse on that circuit is not going to cause a fire.

Ron.

"That fuse was put there based on the wires used, not the pump. Make sure your wires can handle the current before putting different fuses."

FYI, both old and new pumps were wired with 16 ga. wire. And changing from a 3A to 4A fuse on that circuit is not going to cause a fire.

Ron.

You're correct in your situation. I just dont want people thinking swapping a fuse is a great idea, without putting a little bit of thought into it.