• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Buying a boat package from a "not so local" dealer... your thoughts?

Moose-Hunter

Howdy all...

I've been looking for a new boat and have found nothing locally. However, I have found two Lund dealers WAY out of town that both have the model I'm looking for, and are willing to deal. Both still in Minnesota, but not close to me by any means. I'm fairly certain I'll have factory backing from Lund, and either Merc or Yamaha depending on the engine package I go with. I'm a bit "shy" of dealing with shops so far away in case I need dealer support.

Am I just being a "nervous nelly" or are these "legit" concerns?

What say ye?

You might think about just going to your local guys, telling them what you want and letting them quote you a price. If they aren't interested you go buy your boat wherever you get the best deal. A Lund dealer HAS to service a Lund and a Yamaha dealer HAS to service a Yamaha.

These dealers are I(or should be) big boys.....they know people shop down the road. They are happy to get the service work too if it is warranty stuff.

So: see your local guys first then go elsewhere.

The one thing I would watch out for is the deal exactly the same. Make sure the trailer is rated high enough for your boat. The number of seats. Spare tire included for the trailer. Is there a charge for rigging ?

Warranty work can be done by anyone that is a dealer and any checkups for the motor are paid for by you and not covered under the warranty.

You might think about just going to your local guys, telling them what you want and letting them quote you a price. If they aren't interested you go buy your boat wherever you get the best deal. A Lund dealer HAS to service a Lund and a Yamaha dealer HAS to service a Yamaha.

These dealers are I(or should be) big boys.....they know people shop down the road. They are happy to get the service work too if it is warranty stuff.

So: see your local guys first then go elsewhere.

I'd love to keep my purchase local. However, that "may" require a special order and would "possibly" put me on dry land for the bulk of the season. I'm not sure if they are interested in this sale or not with all they non-commital responses I get. Doesn't lend itself to a warm fuzzy feeling.

The one thing I would watch out for is the deal exactly the same. Make sure the trailer is rated high enough for your boat. The number of seats. Spare tire included for the trailer. Is there a charge for rigging ?

Warranty work can be done by anyone that is a dealer and any checkups for the motor are paid for by you and not covered under the warranty.

VERY good points Jim!! I've made sure, all through the process, I was comparing apples to apples. There may be small differences such as what "extras" I buy at the same time. (PFDs, mooring lines, bumpers...) but nothing major to upset the "apple cart". wink

There is no reason that you can't purchase out of state and get your work done locally. If your dealer tries to screw you over, call the number in the back of the owners manual if your not happy. You gave your dealer a shot at the sale and he couldn't help you. It's no different than buying a car at the next dealer over and taking it in to your local dealer.

IF you want to keep your $$$ local, you might ask your dealer if he would be interested in trying to get the boat from the dealer that has it. (like the car dealers all do now) Granted, boat dealers have not evolved to that level yet. They were trying when I got out of the business but not to the same level.

Buying local does have an advantage. Yes they will work on your boat/motor if you buy elsewhere, however you will be at the end of the list and rightfully so. Dont expect them to bump the guys who bought boats from them, manufactures have no say in scheduling.

Warranty work actually pays less than most shop rates and there is more paperwork involved.

I just recently purchased a boat in St. Cloud and I live in Thief River Falls. It is 4 hours away. I was looking all over at new Lunds and they had a 2010 carry over that no one else had. I drove down to look at on March 10th. and looked things over very closley. I then made the deal over the phone and they sent all the paper work directly to my home, I signed all the needed forms, sent them back and then picked the boat up on April 8th.

So far I have not had any major issues, a couple very minor ones, but the dealer shipped out the needed part at no cost to me. The nearest Lund dealer to me is at least an hour away, but one in the same town where we have our seasonal spot (Bemidji an hourand a half from TRF), already spoke to them a couple times about service when I need it and they have not problem with it.

I would not be afraid to do it again!