• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Land of 10,000 Lakes and A Million Outboard Motors...

MudPuppy77

I am looking to talk with someone that happens to have the same outboard motor as I do or one that has a similar lower unit. The reason is because I cannot figure out how to drop the lower unit and I figure there is someone in this great state that has service experience on the same motor.

The motor is a 1966 Mercury 200, short shaft-(20hp)Serial# 1972961. I believe that I have found all the nuts to take off but for some reason I cannot get it to drop. I have searched the internet far and wide for a solution and one possibility I found is that the drive shaft is corroded and stuck. I have tried using PB Blaster and shims to separate the upper and lower unit but I can only get it to move about a 1/2 inch.

Some people have said that there is a pin at the top of the shift shaft that needs to be taken out to release the shift rod but then again others say that this year of motor is not set up like that and it should just drop if all nuts are taken off. Some people have also suggested that there is a hidden nut/bolt under the anode but my lower unit does not have an anode that can be taken off.

Also, if there is anyone that can recommend someone in the metro that will service this old of an outboard, I would appreciate it. I prefer something in the north metro but I will take any recommendations that you can provide.

I apologize for the long post but I am at my wits end with this motor and I am determined to fix it.

Feel free to PM me if you don't want to post the information on this forum and Thanks in advance!

I don't have any specific knowledge of your motor, but i know that Twin City Outboard located in Shakopee repairs lots of older motors and sells them. A quick call into them will tell you if they can help or not. Them lower units are not fun frown Good Luck.

Repair manual is well worth it! I know on a 500 there is a bolt above the trim tab/anode that has to come out, not sure if you have that on yours. online diagrams i found look like only two studs holding the LU on?

Otherwise if you are sure you have all the bolts out it is probly rusted driveshaft, stuck water tube, or stuck shift shaft. may help to shift into forward or reverse while trying to drop it

One thing Id like to know is, how hard was it getting it that 1/2 inch. Was it hard the whole way or does it drop and stop on something?, because it shouldnt. WAre you able to push it back up or is it stuck in one spot?There are only 2 studs holding it on.

Its not the water tube, its copper and slips into rubber on each end.

Ive had several drive shafts rusted and stuck taking alot of persistance. And Ive had shift shafts stuck but never bad enough that using wedges and pry bars didnt help.

Penetrants do work if you able to get it to run down the drive shaft with the motor standing on its head, not easy and its hard to tell if its going where you want it to.