• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Worm Rigs

Live bait rigs vary from location to location or on bite. I have used willow leaf blades with success, it was used on my 31" walleye. The snell lines average 3'-6'and some people even longer!
The structure has something to do with it also. I use bottom boucers alot on rocky shale bottoms w/ 36" snell line and a colorado blade. Blade size with depend on trolling speed and conditions. I use different color blades also.....

Good Luck

------------------
Fishspicermn

FMWL

I like Dakota style blades. They are like Colorado blades but have a V cut in the back of the blade. The blade spins faster at slower speeds and the V that is cut in the back of the blade allows the fish to see the beeds through the blade. I also like blades with a hollographic immage on the blade. They allow for a more realistic immage and add more color.

#4 or #6 red octopus (vmc) with a plastic glow bead. 18" to 3' of 6lb mono, swivel, weight for conditions. An old timer, and others have told me "walleye don't like hardware" so I haven't tried lindy-rigging with spinners, but if I did, I'd probably use a light, cheap willow-leaf blade and a couple of glass beads. That's what I put on my crawler harnesses for bass, and they run to that rattle.

------------------
Aquaman
< )/////><{
"I think we're gonna need a bigger boat."

The best luck I ever had with a worm rig is one I put together myself. I took about 6' of 8 lb mono and snelled three #2 green gamakatsu octapus hooks. I threaded a 8" power worm onto this then added beads, a float, and a #5 indiana blade all of these in shades of green, yellow, and chartreuse. I made it the night before a tourney on Leech. My partner looked at it and declared it a monstrosity. I pulled it out the next day while trolling and within 5 minutes I pulled in a 5 and a 4 lb walleye. I then busted it off on some rocks and couldn't put another together on the water.

mm

For my worm rigs I typically use a Colorado blade or a Hatchet. I think this year I'm going to have to try that dakota blade once, looks like it might work.

I mix and match the color of my beads and floats for my snells.

One big tip is make sure the blade does not touch the tip of the first hook. If it does then the blade wont spin right and probably scare the fish away.

My snells are normally 5' long, some are 6', and some are around 3' to 4'. But mainly 5' for me. I like to use fireline for its resistance and strength, in about 14 lb test.

I use #4 Gamakatsu red hooks on all of my snells.

I also use bottom bouncers a lot on gravel, rocky, and shale bottoms like fishspicermn does.

------------------
The beatings will continue until morale improves. angry-smiley-046.gif

[This message has been edited by fishstunner (edited 03-14-2003).]

My favorite (for Mille Lacs) is a #4 hammered gold or silver hatchet blade. Silver on bright sunny days and gold most other times.

They simply have one of the nicest thumping actions for low speed trolling. This year, I will be trying out some of the Smiley blades that are so popular out on the Columbia river. They may not have the thumping action like a hatchet, but they are made of plastic and look to have superior rotation at slow speeds.

So...what is this Dakota blade? I have never heard of that one before. And where do they sell them?

My favorite walleye rig for spinners is typically a colorada in hammered gold, green or orange. Usually about 3 to 4 foot snell and 2 hooks. I usually try the hammered gold 1st and then green.

[This message has been edited by upnorth (edited 04-04-2003).]

hey my fav is a red and white with blood red beads and 4' to 5' snell with blood red tru turn hook or hooks if they are biting short!!! fishing on fairly clear water and cheartruce and bigger blades on dirty water..
long lining is good too!!

------------------
Dwight Skillings
[email protected]

I really like the quick change plastic blade holders. This gives me options. If the blade I have ins't producing, it's easy to change. I have found that dark water with big blades work. Interesting to note, on the St. Louis River where I can troll with two lines, I have run a number of test running a minnow rig versus a worm rig. The results have always been about the same: 50% minnows, 50% worms. But blade size matters. Go to small and I don't get nearly as many hits, regardless of the bait. The water you fish may well produce different results.

I was wondering if any of you have ever used a long shank walleye hook? The hooks on the one I have are off set. I was wondering if I should line them up straight with the shank, or leave them the way they are?

Blade color is the most over-rated factor in spinners. The blades are spinning and only create a blur. The predominate color a fish sees are the beads. The blades first act as an attractant with their vibration.

Blades with silver plating on one side create flash which can be important.

Use enough beads so that the hook is not covered by the blade.

Use quick-change clevises so you can change blade shape, color and size in jiffy.

Also by using quick-change clevises you can use lighter line. I rig mine with 8# test and use 10# test on the main line. You can break off the spinner rig and save a bottom bouncer or twenty in a day.

I tie hundreds of rigs per year. I usually use 6/7 #4 beads using predominetly chartruese green, red, orange, blue and silver. Don't use cheap hooks either.

I use shorter snell lenghts (30") since we have a lot if timber on the bottom that is no longer standing. This helps to keep them off the bottom and carries a little better over wood. They should be fished close to vertical here on Devils Lake due to the snaggyness until you get over 20 feet deep.

I fished/guided on Lake Oahe in South Dakota for 10 years were spinners are king and had to adapt to Devils Lake. But I have kept the basics...light line, quick-change clevises and bead arangement the same.

------------------
Kevin Neve's Devils Lake Guide Service
fishingminnesota.com/kevin-neve-guiding/
e-mail: [email protected]
Phone: 701-473-5411 or 701-351-4989
Minnewaukan ND