• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

High Hopes for "Super 8"

McGurk

Really looking forward to this flick. I hope it has a vintage Spielberg feel to it; a personal touch and relateable everyday characters a lot of movies are missing nowadays. Plus, I eat up most anything that JJ Abrams is tied to.

We also saw Xmen First Class last night, and was pretty impressed with it, too. Not a bad upcoming summer for popcorn-crunching!

I have seen a lot of previews for Super 8 and I am also crossing my fingers it is good. I know there will be an alien, but I just hope its nothing forgettable.

I also am kinda interested in the Green Lantern. Looks like it could also be a pretty good movie.

Well, this movie was good, but it fell victim to being all hyped up in my mind and then under-delivering. I guess I'm my own worst enemy in this regard. Very enjoyable and fun, with a cute and sweet storyline that is plagued by a few annoying issues I couldn't get around in order to become engrossed with the film. There were a couple of weak plotholes that I would have been able to ignore has I been more drawn in and involved with the experience, but ended up feeling like I was watching a movie and nothing more.

My main gripe, and a very annoying one, was the ridiculous over-use of fake lense flare. Every single night shot (and there are a lot of them) was full of it and all it did was distract you from what was going on at the time. It reminded you that you are watching film in a theater instead of witnessing a personal story. I know it can be a neat add-on (Close Encounters...) but here is was used in a semi-auto shotgun-spray approach that ended up bothering me with the sheer quantity of it. I actually squinted a couple of times thinking it was me and not the movie. Oh yeah, save your money and skip the IMAX. Not worth it.

B- (and I so wanted it to be an A!)

My wife and I saw it yesterday afternoon. Pretty good movie I thought. It really did remind me of an 80's kind of movie that brought me back to being a kid. Yeah, I can see McGurk's complaint about the flare lens, but I still liked some of the scenes.

Thought the whole alien storyline could have been better with "less is more". I'm not a huge M Night Shyamalan guy, but I really liked the movie Signs. Very little footage of the actual alien until the very end which made it a lot more suspenseful.

On the flip side, I loved some of the dialogue between the kids. Brought me right back to being a kid. Anyone rememeber when we used to say "Mint!!"? Couple other good ones there too. Overall I'd give it a solid B+, maybe even an A-. SOOO much better than 90% of the previews I saw. Cowboys and Aliens???? Come on Hollywood, you can do better.