• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Speeding up electric trim?

Scott M

40hp Mercury, oil autoinjection, 4 cylinder. Boat has been in the family until a death and I bought it from the estate. circa 1996 (I have to look up a model # later if you are interested)

It's always been really slow, as far back as I can remember. I have a marine mechanic friend that I could take it to I suppose.

Unfortunately, those particular units were not very good. Unfortunately no individual parts are available for those either and a replacement unit is extremely expensive. You can check around for a used one but even those can be pricey as they know the cost of a new unit.

While it may seem complicated, hydraulics is fairly simple.

If it's moving "Slow" it's prolly either a weak motor, restriction in the line, or low on fluid. Or, that's just how fast it moves.

What do you mean by slow? How long does it take to fully raise the motor?

35 seconds from all the way down to all the way up. Some of the newer Johnsons and Mercs I've used in my job trim up and down in half that time, so if you are coming in hot and see a half submerged boulder, you can trim up in time...with my boat I'm not so sure I could do that.

i'd check fluid first if thats' fine I would bring it into a shop that "freshens" up brushes on the motor they could be dirty. I had the same problem and did the brushed 3-4 times and finally this spring I splurged and got a new trim unit and it sure makes a big difference.

good luck,

mr