• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

perch size

Fishgun, how about 15 3/4" out of a lake in Bear mountain state park N.Y. No talk you just gotta find them they are there.the 15 3/4 come out of turkey hill pond.Its a good hike in to the pond(lake)dont know why they call it a pond, its pretty big. A couple years back they found a body floating in it.They stop every body from fishing on it now.[PoorWordUsage] me off cause I caught some nice fish in that pond. Might have to sneak in again and try again for some more ><sUMo> perch

hey all i know is that ive definetly caught them bigger than that in a small lake except i cant tell you guys where it is i promised my cousin you know what do you guys catch them on i mean the perchwe caught on on every cast i mean that seriously too i thught the shinier the better so did the perch i guess whats some good stuff for perch baits, lures, lines, rods, reels, all that stuff
thanks a heap

I agree with D-man, Mille Lacs is the awesome for early ice perch. Last winter I got into a school of perch. The three biggest ones were 2 pounds 5 ounces, 2 pounds 2 ounces and 1 pound 15 ounces. All three were around 13-14 inches and all three caught within ten minutes from eachother during early ice near Mac's Twin bay. I sent them off to get mounted in the spring and they should be done soon. On top of those three I also caught about twelve to fifteen one pounders that were about 12 inchers. I had the pictures posted last year under the Mille Lacs forum.

Jig Stick, I wish I could tag a perch 15 3/4 inches. That is definitely a sumo perch. Is the coloration of perch different in N.Y.? I know that the patterns on crappies are slightly a differnt shade here then they are in the south. I'm just curious if the coloration is different out east then the midwest.

Good Fishin, Matt.

[This message has been edited by MJ5 (edited 10-10-2002).]

[This message has been edited by MJ5 (edited 10-10-2002).]

I fished Devils Lake twice last year. The first time I did real well, caught numerous 12-13 inch perch but the second time the fishing wasn't as good. I guess if you hit the school, you hit the school. Still had enough for dinner the second time around but nothing to brag about. I plan on heading back to Devils Lake again this winter.

Good Fishin, Matt.

The biggest perch each winter on Devils Lake always goes over 2 pounds. Ed's Bait Shop (www.edsbaitshop.com) has lake maps, tips, semi-weekly fishing reports, etc., if you're thinking of a trip there. It's a great perch lake, 125,000 acres of perch, walleye, and a legitimate shot at a 20-lb pike.

Because of the wet cycle in North Dakota since 1993, the lake more than doubled to 125,000 acres, rising over 20 feet. It was a great lake to start, but that huge rise really helped the perch and pike and eyes, and now there's SO much more water to fish (not to mention great gravel roads that are now under water and make excellent structure.

Give it a try. I ice fished it the first three seasons I got into ice fishing (then I moved). In North Dakota, the fishing season never closes. True fact.

------------------
Steve Foss
Superior, Wis.
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by stfcatfish (edited 11-10-2002).]

[This message has been edited by stfcatfish (edited 11-10-2002).]

I've caught a couple perch in the 15-16 inch range, one of which, went 2lbs4oz(my largest to date). I've also pulled up some 12 inch perch that went just over 2 lbs. I grew up with Devils Lake about a half our away and many small potholes that held large perch and northerns. Man I was spoiled as a kid.

Mj5, not to sound like a jerk but i read an article with many of the old timers from mille lacs like dickie from dickies portside and mcquoid and they all said they have never seen a true 2 pounder on the scale come out of mille lacs, if they actually were that big a true congrats. last year i got a couple 13+ perch out of mille lacs on very late ice and i was real happy. friend of mine caught a 14+ on a lake near jamestown ND last year he wouldn't mount it or throw it back so i ended up cleaning it, i nearly shed a tear, it was over 2 pounds on the scale, i thought it was a pike when he hooked it.

Your missing several big time perch factories in the state of Minnesota. Winnie, Lake of the Woods, Vermillion, and Otter Tail. I got one 14" on Otter Tail this past winter in 8 feet of water. Couple other lakes that hold huge perch are...
Big Stone, Leech, and one I want to fish this year is Michigan(Green Bay), Waubay, and Bitter.