• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Just what to use...

MJBaldwin

I am wondering just what I should use I am not a hardcore fisher but I am getting more and more into it and just wondering what jigs are the best to use. Color, Types, Size? Seems like there are so many different ones out there I am just not sure which ones work the best. For both Crappie and Sunnies. I know you can just use a regular jig but anything special that I should consider next time I go to the store? Want to build a better tackle collection instead of a bunch of worthless stuff.

tube jigs in many colors are great all around lure.....you can get them prerigged or just attach them to a 1/32, 1/16, or even up to a 1/18 oz round jig head....if you can find them even lighter jigs would work...I would also invest in some gulp alive 2.5 inch minnows, berkley powerbait nymphs of many colors and if you ice fish don't forget to break out the ratso's and shripos as they can be deadly under a float....

When thinking of all types of fish, especially crappies and sunfish, there are three types of fish you should be prepared for with your tackle: negative fish, neutral fish, and aggressive fish. All types of presentations work when fishing these different types, but if you narrow down your presentation you will have a lot more success. When fishing negative fish I will usually try and get away with the lightest line possible. That way the fish will be not be as able to detect the unreal presentation I am placing in front of their face. I will usually fish bobbers with plain hooks, 1-2 split shot about a foot above the hook, and fish live bait. when fishing neutral fish I try and pick off the most active fish out of the school which tend to be higher up in the water column. I like fishing jigs and plastics mainly when looking for these fish because it allows me to fish a little faster without always having to dig into the minnow bucket. when fishing jigs and plastics I really live by collarless jigs because it allows the plastic I'm running to run true. next time you get the chance, check out CrappieTom jigs. I also like the Northland mimic minnow small fry and all jig sizes in the range of 1/32 to 1/8 oz. As far as plastics go you should look for natural colors as well as bright colors in all types of shapes such as tubes, critter intimidations, and minnow baits. Finally when fishing aggressive, I tend to enjoy throwing spinners. When opening the tackle box, I usually go to the classic beetle spin. These baits can be ripped through the water column for super active fish as a stop and go presentation that works for picking up not as aggressive fish. When fishing these spinners I look towards distinct weed edges as well as wood cover. I hope this helps in allowing you to add some fish to your livewell when looking for these panfish. Good luck!

Thanks for the word guys this should help me out. I just wanted to get some other peoples views on tackle as there is so much out there but I will have to pick this stuff up when I am at the store next time. Thanks again any other feedbeck would be great.

Fish Slayer-

When you are talking about neg, nut, agg fish are you refering to the way that they are biting?

Thanks guys

yes he is....a good way to start out fishing at least for me is to start out aggressive with bigger bait, i start either with 1/16oz tube or 1/16oz jig and gulp alive 2.5 minnow, and then adjust from there proggresivley getting slower and smaller until I find what the fish are taking

After buying a whole tackle box full of stuff, I consistently find myself going back to two main set ups. The first is simple ordinary jigs, usually pink, that are 1/32 or 1/16th that have a #8 and better yet #6 hook on them. These will usually be tipped with 1 to 2 inch grub tails, a double paddle tail, both in tennessee shad colors(blue, silver, off white), or actual small crappie minnows. The second set up is an #6 aberdeen hook, usually beaded and bladed and fully packed with meat(leach/crawler). Either of these two set ups can also be fished under a float(usually weighted) with small split shot if need be and actively worked, not just letting it sit in one place. These are the things that consistently work for me and others will also have their favorite short list as well. What it really boils down to is what you have confidence in and how well you are able to manipulate and work the presentation you use, as well as, being able to put your self in a situation that will allow yourself to be able to catch them......all the best set ups in the world can't catch fish if there are not fish there wink