• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Motor Price

FBMH

Thinkin about selling my '89 evinrude electric start outboard. Just curious as to what you think it costs? $1100? Its in perfect condition and have been runnin it all year so far

If it's a 1989 there is no way it is worth $1,100.00! I think around $600.00 would be a good price if it's in great shape.

Yeah I agree, I think even $600 would be more than I would pay for a 22 year old motor.

Depends on your location and how bad you want to move it. I had a johnson 25hp l/s electric start tiller late last fall. Had on HSO-Classifieds for $700 with no interest, dropped it to $600 2 weeks later and phone rang off the hook and gone in less than 24 hours. Biggest part of price is not only working condtion but also how fast or how bad you want it gone.

$500-600 would be a ballpark figure...for one in good shape. I know it sucks, but my NADA Boat/Motor book lists "average" price for that as $150.00, and that's what a buyer is gonna use against ya...New list price was 2269.00 in '89

I just looked at a certain c-list HSOforum and they are priced any where from $350 to $1600 for various makes in that year range. Another good thing to do is contact a dealer and ask them what they would give you for it. What they give you for it would be about 15% to 40% of what they would sell it for.

Depends I guess what a guy will spend. For example, I see these little 9.5 johnson or evinrudes all the time from the 60's and 70's listed for $400-$575......and guys buy them!

Yeah...."guys buy them"....and I'll tell ya why! A new 8 hp Yamaha lists at $2200 is about twice as heavy as those old motors and five times more expensive to repair.

Call any dealer near you and ask him how many used, short shaft motors he has from 4-8 HP and then listen to him laugh. They can't keep them in stock.

So you buy a new Yamaha (a great motor incidentally) for $2200 instead of $5-700 for a twenty or thirty year old motor.

Guys buy them because they have to and because there are parts and all kinds of mechanics who can work on the old ones.

Been both ways.