• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Crappie Done Spawning On Some Lakes?

My brother and I were out on Friday in the Alexandria area and came home with 12 crappies in the 11" range. Only one had spawn. Surface water temps was about 54 degrees. Is it possible the spawn is already done? Seems odd.

They are no where near close to being done spawning. You must have just caught mostly males. Most of the lakes i have fished haven't even seen the shallow water feeding push yet. And that movement happens well before they are in the spawn mode. This has been the most messed up year for early season panfishing i have ever seen. Granted I've only lived up here for 5 years. I have yet to get on a good shallow water crappie bite yet other than one lake.

Most likely the Crappies havent spawn due to the cold Spring temps. However with a quick warm up its possible for spawning to be very short or inconsistent. So the window or opportunity of a hot spawn bite is shorten if temps are not favorable. Shooting from temps in the 60's into 70's, 80's too soon and the fish may not spawn at all and may just go into Summer feeding habits instead. This scenario is likely more evident in smaller lakes.

However I am not sure if Crappies can spawn more than once a year, I believe some Sunfish can?

one of my favorite lakes the crappie spawning doesn't occur until the end of may and i have seen them on beds on early june. every lake is different. in shallow stained lakes you see them spawn earlier than in the deeper clear lakes. thats my opinion from what i have seen over the years. shallow stained lakes warm up faster than the deep clear lakes. good luck.

I didn't think the spawn would be over yet. But... shouldn't the females have spawn in them right now, just waiting for the right temp to drop their eggs? These were nice size crappies and likely females. That is why it's confusing me.

11 inches is big for most of the lakes in stearns county wink The temps simply have been too cold. I often catch active males before the big girls show up, so it would not suprise me at all if most of them were nearly all male. A good indicator of when spawning is actually going to take place is when the boys start to get REALLY dark, while the females will be much lighter in color. I doubt those guys you caught were even changing colors yet. If you think those 11's are big, ya might want to hit that same area after it warms a little more....bet the girls will be even bigger!

There are a few reasons why I think they were "likely females". First off was the size, all were 11+ inches. None had the darker color that males exhibit near spawn time. Also in my experience, there is typically a mix of males and females. Only one of the 13 fish had any spawn in them.

The reason I started this thread was out of concern for a possible anomaly on this lake, perhaps it's unfounded. It helps to get the opinion of others. Thanks to all for the input!

And yes... I will be fishing this lake when the water temps rise a few degrees! If these are in fact the "smaller males", I can't wait for the big girls to move in smile. My personal best is 13.5". Still looking for that 15" or 16" wall hanger!

they are nowhere close to spawning yet. they wont start spawning around here till about late may, early june.

they are just on their spring feeding frenzy.

I have been fishing alot this year, and have been catching mostly males. and a good majority of them were in the 11-12" range. and just starting to get their darker spawning colors.

the few females i have caught have all been 14" or bigger. and were released.

We were out electrofishing some lakes today and temps were in the low 60's in central MN. Some crappies appeared to be on hard bottom spawning sites. Males are very dark. Spawning should be happening in the next week.