• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Solar Electric Fence for keeping deer out of garden...

Rip_Some_Lip

Has anyone used one? I am looking at buying one to try to keep deer out of the garden. It is a 6 volt low impedance fence, Charges 3 miles of fence, it comes with a 5.4 amp gel cell battery. It goes for around $100 but it is on sale for about $75. I dont want to run electricity back to the garden so this will work good if it actually works. I just wonder if it puts out enough juice to deter deer. What do you guys think? I have alot of deer in my neighborhood and they hit my garden good twice last year.

A couple of other Deer Preventative measures worth trying...

1. Put 2 4 foot fences (Basic wire and post) with little colored tags every 3-4 feet to make sure the deer can see it's there in some substance.

Make a double ring around the garden with a 3 foot (Mower friendly) gap. Deer are afraid of getting stuck between two fences.

2. Grow several Rosemary plants in planters that are big enough to keep them from getting rootbound, but small enough to be able to carry in at the end of the season. (And do some googling about over-wintering rosemarry) so that you can grow some monster Rosemarry bushes.

Deer DESPISE the smell of Rosemary... But the bigger the better!

3. When your corn is at it's peak... Puff some baby powder in the area, it will deter them for about 2 weeks, during prime picking.

4. You can rotate this with bird feeders filled with irish spring shavings.

My garden is only about 15' X 40'. I put a 2' fence around it now to keep the rabbits and dogs out but I was thinking of putting some taller posts in and put a couple of strands of electric wire above the short fence in hopes that will deter the deer.

I would think that would work but it depends on the amperage. I had a 12 volt battery powered one and it worked great. I did not use a solar charger but instead changed out the battery about once every four or five days.

I think the saying is that "it ain't the volts that'll kill ya, it's the amps." Does the thing indicate it will work on livestock or rabbits or what? I would guess that the average livestock electric fence would convince a deer to stay away, or at least jump higher.

I ordered one and got it today. I hope it works, will update as summer goes on. I also got a new underground fence for the dog. My old collar broke so I had to get a new one and I know they work great. If there were a way to get a collar on all the deer my problem would be fixed,,,lol. grin

For the past 6 years or so, at 2 different houses, I have used 6' steel t posts with 4' chicken wire or 4' welded wire fencing. I then have put 2 strands of plain string,one above the other,above that. I have not had any problems with deer and there are plenty of them around. Works for me!

Chicken wire keeps rabbits etc out also but welded wire is easier to work with.

I thought I would follow up on the electric fence subject. It may have been a little spendy buying the equipment but it seems to be well worth it. I have not even had a deer track in my garden and they have not eaten my new apple tree since I put up the fence. I planted an apple tree and within 2 days the deer had eaten 2 branches. I have yet to accidentally touch the fence either...lol. By the way, my neighbor has had his garden hit at least once or twice. Good luck.

deer will not get shocked by electric fences....their hair is hollow. that helps to keep them warm and dry in the winter but also keeps them from getting shocked from the fences. a nursery not farm from me puts one strand at the very top of their 4' fence and bends over little pieces of metal from pop cans, etc. and puts some peanut butter on the metal tabs....deer absolutely love peanut butter and will come in and lick it or at least get a close whiff. that seems to teach them lesson about getting into the trees and bushes there anyway. i plan to try the same thing with my garden this spring.

I read that about thr tinfoil too. I know is I didnt see any signs of deer after I put fence up. I may try the peanut butter this year if not just for the fun of it. My fence isnt a strong one, I can stand there and hold it myself. It is like a 9 volt battery touching your tounge.