• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Landscape Edging. Bullet Edging or Aluminum edging???

Chad Luebker

Hello -

We are doing a landscape project and have been going back and forth between bullet edgers or aluminum edging. The price is the same. I know both have pros and cons but just looking for some general feedback from people who have used either one. Thanks

Chad

I have never used the aluminum, but I have used the steel edging. I would say go with bullets as they have more curb appeal. They also make it easier for mowing your yard vs the steel or aluminum.

Lets say your lawn mower blade his the aluminum. the blade is going to win, and then you have sharp gouges in your edging. To fix it you would have to buy a whole new piece. Where as if a bullet breaks, you just buy another bullet to stick in there.

I feel the aluminum would be way to soft and more prone to dents, nicks, and bending when installing.

If you go to bullets make sure you hand pick all your bullets and stack them nicely. often times you get a lot of waste on pallets because the edges get broke.

Bullet edgers have a joint every 8-12". Joints are where grass will send rhizomes. I think bullets are a terrible idea and I personally think they are tacky looking. I would go with aluminum if those are the only choices.

Commercial grade black plastic can actually be a decent alternative, but it has to be installed correctly (the top just barely above grade) and anchored well. It also can heave more in heavy clay soils. I use a type of long, round spike I've found at Menards in packs of 8 for $2. They work much better than the flat steel spikes and leave less of an opening. Grass will find any opening!

BTW, I'm a landscape architect ... take it for what it's worth.

You can still put fabric under the bullits to prevent grass popping thru. There should be some class V under it to keep them from settling thru the years too which would be another barrier.

I think a good alternative to the bullits is the stuff that looks like the concrete curbing. They come in 24" pieces and seem pretty tough. I see them on plenty of houses that I frequent and they make mowing pretty easy because they slant into the grass.

Just another option.

Commercial grade black plastic can actually be a decent alternative, but it has to be installed correctly (the top just barely above grade) and anchored well. I use a type of long, round spike I've found at Menards in packs of 8 for $2.

BTW, I'm a landscape architect ... take it for what it's worth.

By commercial he means not the cheap flimsy stuff at menards! They do sell rolls of the thicker stuff at menards but I hate working with it. I prefer to use the individual pieces at a landscape supplier. Also I agree with the spikes. I will use both the flat and the spikes.