• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

crappie rods, reels, line

hans35

I am looking at getting a crappie rod and reel. Dont know if to get a real long rod 8 ft or shorter one, fish mostly from a boat. Type reel I say spinning not sure on close or open face. Lots of lines out their also. Seen prices on some from 30.00 up to 300.00 I am not hard on my stuff but want good stuff too. Any advise would be great. hans35

Hans35,I would look at pflueger president reel. They are great reels and for the rod, I would say a 7'6" or 8'6". The ones I use are fly rods and you will get a better hook set. Plus, you can cast a long way or if you are fishing docks you can just flip it in. There is so many lines out there and they all good, so you will have to see what works for you.

Sniffer

"I would look at pflueger president reel."

+1

I replaced one of my deadbolts this spring with one. Very smooth, and cast great! I use 4# mono most of the time, but do have one spool loaded with 1-8 PP if fishing in thick stuff.

go with a small president reel and put it on a 7' medlight rod I love this set-up!

I also have a president on a series1 berkley 6' ft med and seem to use this rig alot too, must be the great drag on the reel!

I also use the smaller President reel on a 7' rod with 4 lb. XL Trilene and works great. The Pflueger reel is one of the smoothest reels, when looking at reels check and see how many bearings they have, the President has 8. I have 3 spinning reels and 2 baitcasters.

Anyone try a Shimano Sahara 1000?

I'll probably pick up a rod/reel combo today, but my real question is what line?

Best line for the light set-up that allows good casting, good sensitivity, and sinks well with the light lures?

I'm leaning towards 4# to 6# Fireline or PP with a uni-uni tied on clear leader.

I have tried all the Shimano spinning reels except the Symetre. You can't go wrong with any of them, even their $30 Sedona feels nice. I have a Sedona 1000 on my Crappie rod (St. Croix Triumph 6'6" Light power, Fast Action) and I really like the feel of it.

This weather we've had recently is really making the panfish action a little tough.. having to be very patient to get a hit.. and they are hitting as light as can be... today should be a great day though! 60s.. they are gonna move back into that warmer water this afternoon

I went with Shimano Sahara 1000 on a Cabelas Crappie Rod 8'. 5#PP with 8# Trilene XT leader.

Will test it out tonight.

Pretty similar to the setup I use now, you're reel is a nicer one, I have the sahara on my river rod. Love it.

I have an 8'6 Cabelas Fish Eagle II with a Sonora 2500 reel, 4lb fireline with a 4lb trilene xl leader.

I said the same thing you did though "Never knew you could cast a 1/16th jig too far..." Ha.