• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Mounting Transducer on Poly plate

Jmnhunter

i'm planning on mounting my transducer directly to a piece of polythelene that I was hoping I could glue directly to the transome without drilling holes, but I've noticed alot of the adhesives state not recommended for poly plastics

any ideas?

Not on the gluing part. If you have room, get a board that lets you attach with screws above the water line. If that is not possible, your going to want to make sure when you attach to you a quality sealant like 3M 4200 or 5200. Put some in the holes that were drilled and on the screws before you screw them in. Also put some sealant on the back of the board for a little extra seal and hold.

Just did mine last week. Always scary drilling into your boat.

Mike

You should be able to get the 4200 or 5200 at any marine store, or even FF.

But at the same time why not just drill and attach it to your boat? Typically people will drill the hole and then use the 3M adhesive around the screw when they put it in. This will hold it a lot better than just using some adhesive.

Are you planning to do this on an alum or fiberglass boat? If the adhesive comes off the fiberglass boat it will likely pull a good chunk of the gelcoat off with it too.

When I first got my boat I was very hesitant to drill holes in it, but it is by far and away the best way to attach things to your hull if you actually want them to stay there.

I tried calling a few marine dealers and they dont carry it; stopped at Menards and a local hardware store, nothing; I'll try FF tomorrow.

I have 3 -1/4" 4x6 pieces I need to glue together then attach it to the boat (alum); I may just drill holes and seal the bolts. the main goal is to glue the 3 pieces together so its thick enough. a guy from work had some extra poly laying around so the price was right!

thanks

found some info regarding to prep of the poly plate needing sanding and scoring for a good seal;

the 3m 4200 or 5200 looks like will be the hardest task to find someone who sells it!

Home Depot in Monticello has 3M 5200 Marine Adhesive/Sealant. Check with any of them they may all carry it.

I have 3 -1/4" 4x6 pieces I need to glue together then attach it to the boat (alum); I may just drill holes and seal the bolts. the main goal is to glue the 3 pieces together so its thick enough. a guy from work had some extra poly laying around so the price was right!

thanks

A transducer mounting board only costs about $15. Might be a better way to go than buying the adhesive and glueing 3 pieces together.