• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Crack in block, What to do?

FLJim

I am in a dilemma.I have a 1992 Yamaha Pro60,it has been overheating so I replaced the impellar,plastic housing,stainless steel plate etc....(the whole deal)After that it was still overheating(only at idle and trolling speeds).Well I brought it in to a reputable dealer to have it looked at.After going through it they found a small crack in the block just above the outlet where the peehole hose comes out. The shop said it would not be cost effective to replace the block because it is to old of a motor. I agree with there assesment.They said you could try and get it welded. I am looking into this option, my question to you is.If you where in my shoes,Where is a good shop that has a good reputation of welding aluminum on outboards.I am in Forest Lake but I am willing to travel a distance to give me the best chance of success in fixing my problem.Any input would greatly be appreciated!

Welding cast aluminum is a very difficult thing to get right. If the base metal is not COMPLETLY clean and free of impurities you will just cause a bigger mess and it still will not be sealed.

How bad is this crack? Is it causing the overheating? Is it possible to fill it with JB Weld to seal it? I don't like welding on blocks and heads because it could distort the casting and ruin the motor.

I agree with Caman, I would try with JB Weld first, you don't have to loose anything.

I don't understand how can the motor overheat from just a small crack like that. Something is missing here

yeah i removed the lower unit and water pump, started by pushing water back through the pee hole then let it soak have it a short burst of compressed air, then the water and enough sand to fill a pop can came out and it worked just fine.