• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Determining Anchor Size & Winch

amateurfishing

Guys I know will try and have an anchor that ways about half of what the boat does. Then just get the winch to lift it and you can ancher in strong wind and current and stay put.

Them 750lb anchors are a beach to pull up!!

28LB navy anchor would be a great anchor for your boat, and it probably would be a little overkill. A 18lb navy anchor would be sufficient most of the time but you might find times when you wish you had more. Make sure you have at least 100ft of rope in the boat (preferably 150ft) and an 18lb should hold your boat most of the time. A navy anchor between 18-28 would be ideal IMO, but I don't know if they make them. Having a couple ft of chain connected to the anchor also helps a lot.

Some guys will tell you that you should get a richter anchor. I concur that they are great anchors, but I have a hard time dishing out that much more for an anchor when you could just buy a 28lb navy anchor and never have problems holding, especially if you fish rivers, your bound to eventually lose an anchor.

look at water spike

they have a couple different sizes

i have a 20 ft glass boat and it holds me in big wins on winnie(20-25mph)

the nice thing about them is its light folds up easy to store

and is made so that you can alway get it lose

might be alittle more $$$ than a the ole navy type

but you get what you pay for