• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Snap on Boat Cover

SapperACE

I just purchased a used boat, and it has a really nice fitting, well made, snap on cover that was included. The guy I bought the boat from said that he just had it custom made 2 years ago up in the cities somewhere for over $1000. He was very honest with me and told me that the cover frustrated him because the sides come unsnapped going down the road. He said he was never able to use it in transit. He also said that he was never able to get it back to the company that made it to fix the problem. I had to try it for myself, and sure enough, it comes unsnapped going down the road.

The problem with the cover seems pretty simple. When I snap the snaps together, they feel like they could be quite a bit tighter. I have helped buddies with their snap covers before and they seemed to snap much tighter. I was curious if anyone had any tips to make the snaps fit more tightly or if I will have to replace the snaps or add more? If replacing them is the answer, where can I buy the male part of a snap? I would think just replacing the male part with one that fit the female ones on the cover tighter would do the trick.

Thanks in advance for any advise.

i have had my snap on's since 2001 with my crestliner 1850. never once had a problem with them. maby the conections are worn out i dont know. i actualy put oil on the connections so they are easy to snap on. never had a problem, sorry. good luck.

SapperACE,

Sounds like you have a canvas craft cover possibly. if so call them and see if they could redo it. they may be able to redo all the snaps even if the cover is not from them. I don't have a idea what they would charge to do something like this but the best would be to call them and see if they could help you. They are in Rogers and Ramsey(I think rogers does most of the boat covers).

I have a full windshield crestliner boat, and when I use my snap-cover, I still need to use poles to keep the tension on the cover. When the cover snaps and whips in the wind, that is what is caused my snaps to come apart. Are you using a pole with your cover?

as i said before i also have a snap on cover. i also have ajusable poles for the cover. adjusted correctly you should have no problem with the snaps comming off. i actualy oil the snaps occationaly to make them easier to come off. i have a crestliner 1850 2002 and never had a problem. i think the cover will get bad before the snaps. good luck.

I have a full windshield crestliner boat, and when I use my snap-cover, I still need to use poles to keep the tension on the cover. When the cover snaps and whips in the wind, that is what is caused my snaps to come apart. Are you using a pole with your cover?

Sounds like a poorly fitting / customized cover IMO. I've had 3 made by Dave at North Country Canvas in Crystsal. All three fit like a glove. My current one (see pix) is on a full windshield boat. At my request, he made it so I could use a pole, but the fit is so right on, I rarely use it....sitting or going down the rode. I doubt he made your cover, but I would definately get his input on what best plan of action should be. good luck...

full-1519-7549-img_1110.jpg

full-1519-7550-img_1111.jpg

My cover does have poles in it to remove tension. It fits really well too, I just think that the snaps do not fit tight enough on the sides. I plan on calling the above mentioned places to see about fixing up the snaps. Thank you everyone for the help.