• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

I-pilot question

mrjigger

Looking at a new minnkota w/ ipilot. I think the I-pilot can retrace an old route......correct?

Question is......does the old route need to be first taken with the trolling motor? Or can you create a route faster with the boat and then drop the trolling motor and retrace?

Thanks!!

I just bought it also. I read the book and it said there is a GPS reciever in the head of the trolling motor that controls the features of the I pilot that use GPS(basically all funtions of the i pilot are GPS controled except for manual mode). You will need to use the trolling motor to record the track. after you record it you can either replay the track from where you ended it and work back to the starting point or vice versa.

The terrova needs to be deployed to capture a route. It wont work unless the motor is down.

I know a few guys who will put the motor down and then trace a route with their big motor and then fish it back.

You can store 3 routes up to two miles long, and can use the start to end buttons to fish smaller sections of that route. It is an amazing tool.

The terrova needs to be deployed to capture a route. It wont work unless the motor is down.

I know a few guys who will put the motor down and then trace a route with their big motor and then fish it back.

What he said .....

Has anyone on the site tested the I-pilot by placing some marker bouys and seeing how things go on the way back retracing the route? Are you within a boat length or closer? Just wondering how well it works.

Also the "anchor" function-does/has it worked well for you?

Seems amazing -just wondering about some real-life experience.

... but I can tell you that the spot-lock anchor function is really, really good!

+1.

But, make sure you are stopped, or very close to stopped when you "drop anchor." I wasn't real impressed the first time, but quickly figured out why.

I was moving at a fair clip the first time I "dropped anchor." It fought hard to get back to the spot, over shot, went back, slightly overshot, went back, barely overshot, then got "locked in." Learn from my bad, and you'll love it the first time you use it.

The spot lock is really nice in deep water. I usually only sit in one spot for about 5-10 minutes, and it is also nice for that. The feature that I use the most is cruise control mixed with auto-pilot. You just dial in the exact speed you want to go, down to the 1/10 mph.

Question about a possibly goofy scenario...let's say you are on a first pass, recording your track. Let's say someone catches a fish on that first pass...you hit the anchor/spot lock to bring in the fish, then continue along your way. How will that affect you when you retrace the route? Will the i-Pilot want to stop there or will it be able to just cruise right on through the spot?

I've used the track feature a lot and it is accurate. Once you hit stop, the track will end, so you're stuck with a partial track stored in memory. Essentially you'd need to start over. You have the option to pause the track recording if that will work.

I generally fish an area by making a few passes to see if there are fish; if it's holding fish, usually I speed up and make a track and then proceed with my fishing. Running faster allows you a much tighter path IMO.

Has anyone on the site tested the I-pilot by placing some marker bouys and seeing how things go on the way back retracing the route? Are you within a boat length or closer? Just wondering how well it works.

Also the "anchor" function-does/has it worked well for you?

Seems amazing -just wondering about some real-life experience.

I have not put out any marker bouys but I know that it follows very close on a recorded track. I fish a lot of ridges/drop-offs and if I was off by more than 5' in either direction I would know because I would not be on my target depth.

The anchor function is very slick. It has more problems if you are in gusty winds but it will still keep you very close to the spot.