• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Adding a bait well (removing foam)

Crickschop04

I need to replace the floor in my 1989 Alumacraft Dominator, and I see that I need to remove some spray foam on the rear starboard. I was thinking that as long as I needed to remove that foam, I may as well install a baitwell too. Is it safe/legal to remove that foam and not replace all of it? I'd still spray foam around the new baitwell.

Thoughts? Concerns?

DO NOT use the cheap spray foam you find at the big box stores. That stuff is not closed cell and will retain water. It will not help with any type of flotation once it becomes water logged.

I would not recommend re-foaming around the new bait well especially around the inlet or outlet lines and fittings. That would make it very hard to repair leaks or faulty parts.

I owned a Dominator at one time and they have a lot of flotation foam in them so removing a little would probably not matter much.

Cliff

Hey Crickschop04,

I have a 91' Dominator myself and was thinking about doing the same thing.If and when you put in the baitwell,could you post the details so I could put one in as well.

Thanks!