• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

used boats brands and models coparisons, help!

fishingguy

shopping for used boat. Have spotted a few makes and models that fit, or nearly fit my budget. looking at replacing my old 88 alumacraft competitor. Would love any insight any owners of these boat could share. Goods, Bads, ect...

1st: 01 lund 1675 explorer ss w/ 90hp merc 2 stroke

2nd: 01 crestliner 1650 fishhawk w/ 60 merc 4 stroke

3rd: 99 alumacraft 170 tourney pro w/ 90hp 2 merc 2 stroke

All are side council

Other than the 2 stroke vs 4 stroke, and the hp, and speed. Any advice? Do's don't?

Any help from any now or at one time owners of any of these makes and models would be greatly appreciated

Any of those would be a good choice, but I'll agree with Esox that a 60hp on the Crestliner is underpowered. Basic rule of thumb is don't go below 75% of max rated HP to achieve optimum performance. That's one thing the dealer's like to do, especially in my town, is sell the "package" deal...and they're all under rated/powered. Rest is mainly personal preference.

We also owned a 87 Competitor with 90 merc 2 stroke (3 cylinder. most likely the same motor on these boats).

First thought I had is why you are "upgrading" from a Competitor? Meaning, these boats are about the same size... so maybe just getting a bit newer?... Not sure. We now have alumacraft TP175 with 150 and the jump from the Competitor to our boat was a big and nice one smile The TP170, if I am not mistaken, is basically the new Competitor, but with 2xb hull, which you will like and appreciate from the first ride.

The 90 merc is a good, solid, dependable motor that I didn't think was too thirsty for a 2 stroke. But it also is not a power house. We trolled a ton with ours (had it for 10 years), and it would load up after a while, but then we would just go for a short WOT ride to burn oil, and then back to trolling again. Great motor. Just need to choke the snot out of it the first key turn of the day. Anybody who tells you these motors are hard to start just never learned to do it right. You need to chooooooooooooooke it wink and it will start on first turn of the key every day you use it.

I am not totally sure of the TP170 specs, but if you could swing going up to the TP175 (basically an 18' boat) it would feel like you are fishing out of an aircraft carrier! I remember our first voyage after using the Competitor and we just laughed when we looked at all the room! haha! But then it is bigger, and need more motor, and more storage room, etc. So just take that as comment, not a slam on the size boats you are looking at. Good luck, all the rigs you are looking at are nice.

I have a 2000 1650 SC Fishhawk with a 50hp 4 Stroke. Absolutely great boat for me with no issues with boat or motor. Will run 30 MPH with 2 people and gear. Trolls all day and gets great gas usage. Rod storage is a little sparse but other than that I have had no complaints. Pulls very easy also.

If you have any other questions let me know.

Mike

We also owned a 87 Competitor with 90 merc 2 stroke (3 cylinder. most likely the same motor on these boats).

First thought I had is why you are "upgrading" from a Competitor? Meaning, these boats are about the same size... so maybe just getting a bit newer?... Not sure. We now have alumacraft TP175 with 150 and the jump from the Competitor to our boat was a big and nice one smile The TP170, if I am not mistaken, is basically the new Competitor, but with 2xb hull, which you will like and appreciate from the first ride.

The 90 merc is a good, solid, dependable motor that I didn't think was too thirsty for a 2 stroke. But it also is not a power house. We trolled a ton with ours (had it for 10 years), and it would load up after a while, but then we would just go for a short WOT ride to burn oil, and then back to trolling again. Great motor. Just need to choke the snot out of it the first key turn of the day. Anybody who tells you these motors are hard to start just never learned to do it right. You need to chooooooooooooooke it wink and it will start on first turn of the key every day you use it.

I am not totally sure of the TP170 specs, but if you could swing going up to the TP175 (basically an 18' boat) it would feel like you are fishing out of an aircraft carrier! I remember our first voyage after using the Competitor and we just laughed when we looked at all the room! haha! But then it is bigger, and need more motor, and more storage room, etc. So just take that as comment, not a slam on the size boats you are looking at. Good luck, all the rigs you are looking at are nice.

BoxMN, My goal when I started looking was to upgrade age and size. It seems after reading your post, that I am settling for just a newer boat only. After searching for a few weeks I guess Seeing the prices, and my budget, I started settling for what I could afford VS what My goal was at the begining! Thanks for reminding me.

My boat should be a 17.5', 90" or wider, with a 90hp 4 stroke or bigger with a side council. None of the boats I posted fit these specs. Anyone have suggestions on these specs with a 10,000 to $12,000 budget?

A buddy mentioned a boat to look at, and I am not familiar with it. Did some searching on the net but didn't get much for results. Lund 1775 classic ss. Any one have any experience with this boat?

Hey fishinguy, I am not sure of prices anymore, as we are still keeping our '97 TP175 for many more years to come. If that says anything... There are nicer and newer boats, but this old gal keeps doing everything we need (I walleye fish more, and my bro muskie fishes more, bring it on big water and small water, haul family and even have duck hunted from it...). We have had to do routine repairs, but the hull, floor, everything, and the motor (merc 150efi) are all just plain solid. We still drool over new boats, and bigger ones, but can't justify the jump... and its been paid for long ago, ha!

One thing I might suggest, and just suggestion, is to go price out the used boat you WANT (not just "can afford") and factor in what you are likely to get for your boat, and then set a goal to make the transition when you have the cash. Meaning, in a 17.5-18' boat, I personally would never get less than 150hp. We originally ordered ours with 125, but changed it to 150 at suggestion of Steve Fellegy actually, and I tell you what... it was the best advice we ever got. The 125 would have psuhed the boat "fine" but not the way it "Should" push it. wink I know you don't need "need" the higher hp, but here is the truth - you don't run WOT all the time anyway, but when you do, you will get the #$%^ eating grin from ear to ear every time you push the throttle down. No kidding. Our boat is not the fastest, but even after 13 years I get that same feeling, and it is like a kid who just got his training wheels off!! smile

Anyway, just a thought for you. I know your boat the Competitor and it is a great boat, so you already fishing out of what I consider a very good rig, nicer than most people have, and totally a fishing machine. I logged many hours/days behind it on the slalom ski as well and we used the heck out of ours (2 teenagers/college kids and a Dad, so it was on the water 5 days a week for nearly 10 years). Don't "settle" when you already have a good rig. And I would not worry as much about age as I would about condition of used boats. You can tell when you pull up in a driveway who takes care of their stuff and who doesn't, and most people don't use their boat too much anyway (of course those on FM do, but most don't).

Anyway, I ramble. Don't settle. Wait until to can get some higher hp. And for sure drive a 90hp 4 stroke on a bigger boat before you plunk the cash. I think you might be surprised... wink Good luck, sorry for rambling. If you want a spin in our boat to see the diff in size on the water and are near WBL let me know. I will be crappie fishing on WBL as soon as I can.

edit - oh yeah, and ours was the first year of the model, and narrower at about 89 inches I think, as they went to 96" in like 2002 or something.

Box, That was my goal at the very start. But lost site of it as I've been looking. Thanks for reminding me. My boat is an 88 competitor, w/70hp 2 stroke evenrude, 16'5" long and 87" wide at its widest. With the boats mentioned in my first post, all I would be doing a 10 year upgrade.

"Search for what I want, not what I can afford!" Worry about the rest later! GREAT ADVICE!! Thanks!

My boat should be a 17.5', 90" or wider, with a 90hp 4 stroke or bigger with a side council. None of the boats I posted fit these specs. Anyone have suggestions on these specs with a 10,000 to $12,000 budget?

My first and most important suggestion is patients. I had similar criteria except I wanted a 17.5', 115 4s, sport, as new as possible, within a certain price.

Took me a year to find the boat at the price.

Second suggestion, be ready to jump because deals close quickly when the price is right.

Third suggestion, look at surrounding states.

Fourth suggestion, show up with money in hand.

Found my deal in WI. Closed the deal over the phone boat unseen, contingent that condition was really as described.

Don't be surprised if you don't find a deal right away. I went a year without a boat. It was he11. Just ask my wife. crazy

Expect prices to keep getting higher as we approach opener. Prices seem to level off after Memorial Day, then drop back to reality by the 4th.

Stick to your guns. You will be happier in the long run.