• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Tire Jack and Wrench

FBMH

The tires on the boat trailer this year have got to go. I know how to change a tire, its just that i would like to find the cheapest jack to raise the boat, and the cheapest but most effective wrench for changing the tire. Please help me out. Would blains farm and fleet have it? Thanks,Cody

If you have a scissor jack in one of your vehicles that would be the cheapest option. Otherwise they sell kits with jacks, combo wrenches and other items for fairly cheap. Yes Blains should have something that would work, depending on the boat size a 2 ton jack should work for most fishing boats.

One tip, hook up the trailer to your tow vehicle to prevent it from moving and falling while working on it. Also remember to throw some wheel chokes under the opposite wheels and you should always put some blocks under the trailer while it's in air, you should never work on something that is just being supported by a jack.

Or you could just bring it to your local tire shop and have them do it all, probably your cheapest option if you need to get tools that won't be used very often.

I would not use a scissors jack, it would take forever...go buy a cheap floor jack.

Running out to buy a new jack to save a couple minutes with a scissor jack seems a lot more time consuming than just using something he already may own. It doesn't sound like he's changing tires for NASCAR here. wink

The problem you have with a trailer flat tire is you don't have enough room under the axle to place a scissor, floor, or hydraulic jacks. You can lift it by the frame, but you need extra reach since the spring will extend making it for a long reach.

I suggest to get a cheap floor jack with wrench combo and always have a wood wedge along, so you can drive flat tire over the wedge, it will raise axle from ground, then use a floor jack to lift.

Prices can go from free (your truck, neighbor, friend, etc) to several dozens of $$, it's up to you to find the best deal.

The problem you have with a trailer flat tire is you don't have enough room under the axle to place a scissor, floor, or hydraulic jacks. You can lift it by the frame, but you need extra reach since the spring will extend making it for a long reach.

I suggest to get a cheap floor jack with wrench combo and always have a wood wedge along, so you can drive flat tire over the wedge, it will raise axle from ground, then use a floor jack to lift.

Prices can go from free (your truck, neighbor, friend, etc) to several dozens of $$, it's up to you to find the best deal.

Shouldn't just the diameter of the rim allow for a scissor jack to get under? My trucks scissor jack is only about 2.5 inches thick when its at its lowest point. I sure hope it would work, otherwise I'm in trouble, because I'm not gonna carry another jack with me.

I had same problem, used 4 x 4 then scissor jack from explorer on top of that and socket wrench set that i had on hand. It was not fast but i was not in a hurry, did not feel like running to store & buy a jack for a 2 or 3 time issue, plus if i have issues on road, id be mad my hydralic jack was not with me. I took bad tire to wallys and couple others, no one will fix a bad trailer tire. So my dad (from IA) took along back home on last trip up and local coop there just put in brand new tube for $20 on a tubeless tire, guess they to it all the time. $20 instead of brand new tire for $80, great deal to me.

Shouldn't just the diameter of the rim allow for a scissor jack to get under? My trucks scissor jack is only about 2.5 inches thick when its at its lowest point. I sure hope it would work, otherwise I'm in trouble, because I'm not gonna carry another jack with me.

why would you "drive" the trailer over the wood, just place the wood either directly in front or behind bad tire.

Like Valv said, it will raise axle from ground, so a person can get the jack under the axle.