• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Daily limit and possesion ?

HooknHorns

Im surprised some ppl actually follow this law, I hardly pan fish this is my first time crappie fishing in the longest of times, went fishing with some friends 2 caught well over personal limit we kept it all since 4 of us makes 40 fish kept since crappie limit is 10 a person they caught more than me and the other one did in the end we had close to 40 crappies i think we had 37. so i kept 10 filleted them all im fine with that the rest were split among the 3 others. so limit is 10 a person but regulation does not say how much you can have wich brings me to the point that i see ppl out there fishing and i kno they are going over limit so about lets just say one person goes 20 crappies for himself brings it home goes back and keeps fishing, is there a limit on how much we can have? seeing this makes me say "no wonder crappies are so hard to find now"

HandGunner:

Yes you are limited in how much you can have.. That is why there is a "daily" limit and a "possession" limit, and generally they are the same.

FYI Conservation Officers have more authority than your typical police with regards to searching for potential poaching evidence. If they get a tip about someone having a freezer full of 100 crappie fillets, yeah it's pretty easy for them to come in your house and check you out. If you know of someone keeping too many fish, call the TIP (turn-in-poachers) line.

I wonder how it would turn out calling TIP when the shoreline is full of everyday dads uncles kids and families mothers all fishing over limit, it would be one busy day for the CO not to mention the various boats out there also doing the same, to keep myself fishing longer i would just keep the first 5 ones i catch maybe toss some back if i catch bigger ones, keep about 7 the last 3 i just catch and release until its almost time to go then just get my last 3 and go.

i had caught some more previous to my last outing which was the best i already had 7 crappies but they were all cooked and eaten by the time i went out to fish again.

just something about crappies that everyone has to have alot of, must be because they are somewhat easy to catch fun and they are not as harmful to alot of rather than bigger game fish thats my guess of why everyone fishes them, im more a bass fisherman catch and release

Handgunner-

You might want to check the regulations on 'culling' your catch. Releasing fish you have already caught to make room for bigger sized fish you catch later is culling, and is a no-no. Also, going over your possession limit at your house is illegal,and can result in being prosecuted. A coworker of mine got charged by a CO for this, for too many walleye fillets in his freezer. Sorry if that hijacks this thread. Back to the regularly scheduled programming.

HandGunner:

FYI Conservation Officers have more authority than your typical police with regards to searching for potential poaching evidence. ................... yeah it's pretty easy for them to come in your house and check you out.

CO's are not exempt from the 4th Amendment to the United States Constitution.