• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Boat remodeling

drippinwet

I am new to the boards. So first, hello to everyone. I look forward to picking the brains of all the more experienced boaters out there. I started out fishing lake Michigan when I was a kid. I got a way from fishing as a teen, but now I am married and fishing relaxes me when the wife is irritating me laugh....so now I fish inland lakes, mainly for bass and northerns.

I spent 500 dollars last year on a 1969 Glastron with a 1976 75 HP Evinrude. I took it out a few times and had constant water problems. Boat filled up and was running my pump way too often. I thought it was the holes in the back for the old transducers. I filled the holes and then stored the boat. A few weeks ago we took it out of storage to redo the interior. I took out the carpet and some wood in back and realized my transom was rotted and the stringers in back were also rotted. I decided to junk the boat, but keep the motor. I figured 500 bucks for a great running 75 HP is a solid deal.

I found a 1983 16' Cheeateh. Great condition, no motor and a trailer (which I am trading for help on the boat work). I will use my Glastron trailer which is GREAT condition. I am adding a platform with storage in the back, with a platform in the front. I want to add a live well in the front as well. The first question I have is regarding the live well. What is a good way to make one? I am not too worried about pumping IN water. I can always bucket some in. I have a bait well in front (which I am considering turning into a cooler, after I add some insulation to it). The bait well has a drain line, I will use a T and connect the drain from the live well to it. This should allow both wells to drain. Is it really important to have an aerator for the live well? I really have no idea how to make this live well work.

The plat form in back is built, just needs carpet and a hinge on the storage door. I am adding a bench seat to the front of the box and then have pedestal seats for driver and passenger as well. Thus giving me lots of seating. Plus I am going to add cushions in the front to sit on the platform. Just in case I want to party on the boat and not fish for one night.

What do you think of the boat and got any ideas for the live well?

Just the boat, before I bought it

xpwuww.jpg

The boat, back platform all framed out

2vt1ac5.jpg

The platform built, the pedestals are NOT bolted down, just showing where they will go

2iw5cuc.jpg

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Livewell pumps are not aerators- they are just water pumps that cycle freshwater into the well. I really think they are important not just for having more water with oxygen but also keeping the temp of the water down. I am not sure what to make the livewell out of but I would think that a cooler would work great. You have the back of the boat open now, you should be able to put in an intake line low in the transom and seal it properly. Run the line to whateve you use for a tank, and have it come in on the top. Right below that out in a line that acts as your overflow and t connect that to your drain line coming out the bottom. A fair amount of farting around but it should work. Good luck.

You will need to get a fitting that will go through your transom and then hook it to your livewell pump. I would contact one of the boat dealers and tell them what you are doing. They will likely be able to hook you up with something that will work. You could also call one of the glass boat makers and talk to one of their techs and buy the fitting and maybe even the cement/sealer that you will need to install it. Once hooked to the pump, water will only come through the intake when the pump is turned on.

I bought 4 new seats last night and I got 2 new batteries from Batteries Plus. I picked up a deep cycle battery for my trolling motor and a starting battery for my motor and electronics. Any one have experience with Xtreme Marine batteries? It was a lot cheaper than batteries at Gander Mountain, but I never checked out Farm and fleet or anything. Hopefully it was a good deal. After 2 10 dollar mail in rebates the total is 115 for BOTH. On Wednesday I will finish the plat form in the back and should get my electronics installed as well as the front platform on. From there all I need to do is the live well and add the steering. Should be a fun week laugh

full-37815-6740-195863_10150161925850530

All I need to do is add the bench seat and the platform is done. I got the front platform cut and carpeted, just need to add the live well and then the front is done. The trolling motor plug and cable are run, just need to mount that and the 2 fish/depth finders, then run the steering to the motor and connect all the electric and she is ready!!!

Front deck with spot for live, cooler and storage, all 3 outside boards hinge open.

full-37815-6861-197307_10150167481485530

Back casting deck with middle storage compartment. Entire underneath is open for storage.

full-37815-6862-199976_10150167483650530

Custom made bench seat. Seems low to the ground, but it's not too low while sitting on the bench.

full-37815-6863-196966_10150167483760530

Good view from the back showing all the work.

full-37815-6864-190523_10150167484705530

Trolling motor mounted and ready to roll.

full-37815-6865-189311_10150167482030530

The simplest way to have a working livewell is to add a pump that pushes water into tank, then an overflow fitting to eliminate water after a set level. This way the pump runs water into the well and keeps circulating by exiting the tank at he overflow, just like a bath tub.

Pump will have to be through hull, or installed on the outside of the hull with a hose coming inside going over the splashwell (like a pontoon type setup).

When in motion the movement of boat will "suck" the water out through the same way it came in, you will have to add a plug to keep water in well or a tube that fits inside inlet fitting and keeps water at the level you decided.

It's tougher to describe in writing that the actual system, if you need fitting you're welcome to stop by I can give you a lot of parts you will need.

Jump seats are the little seats that fold down level with the deck when not in use. I've seen where guys have made bench seats across the back that fold down forward and turn into a deck. The only thing is how to take advantage of that wasted space under the seat for storage and be able to get at it when the seat is in either position.

Still, a really nice job on the boat and it's the way you want it!! That's the nice thing about customizing.

Have done allot of that to my boat and I think that's what keeps me from getting a newer one is I just can't find one like mine.

Again great job! Have fun on the water, looks like you will!!

I got treated plywood, we're hoping this is enough. I still need to build the livewell, so maybe that will be next year's project. And the jump seats do sound like a great idea, but I like sitting up higher while fishing. Not sure if you can with jump seats. I can put the seats in the storage in back, they are just smaller enough to fit in the storage.

One thing I am having trouble with is where to put my rods. I have rods lay around while you fish because no matter where you put them you always seem to step on them. Any suggestions?

It's well worth it, it keeps all the rods upright, no more stepped on broken rods. When done fishing, just grab the whole unit and take it with you, no more tangled lines while hauling rods, etc.

I have 2 of them and use whenever I can, I actually fixed them so I can use on most any boat seat base, even if I rent the boat.

You can move in the back when you're casting in the front, and viceversa.

So I just figured out the boat has a transducer mounted in the bottom of the boat (where the bilge pump is in back). Does this actually work, I mean can the sonar go through the boat to see depths and fish? I thought they just bounced off things and reported it back as fish and the bottom. Also, how do I determine which brand the plug is for? I know it does not connect to my Humminbird, how can I figure out what it connects to?

Ugh so I finally got my boat done. Never checked the motor because its been too cold and my buddy did not have his faucet outside hooked up. After I left his house I went down to the lake to fire it up. Luckily the water near shore was open so I could get it in. It started up instantly and run for about 5 seconds while bellowing out white smoke. It then died. I tried for a while to get it started (with and without the choke on) and it eventually flooded out. I went and bought 6 new plugs (nice to have 3 extras) and got home and put them in. I connected the water and tried to fire it up still nothing. I have spark and fuel is definitely getting to the plugs. Another thing is I have an oily substance coming from my exhaust (which is through the center of the prop). What is causing this and why won't it start? Could my carbs be that clogged up where it is coming out through the exhaust? Please help. I will say before winter I bought stabil and put some in the fuel. But another buddy says I may not have ran it long enough...only ran it for a minute or 2 if I remember correctly. Could this be playing a role?

Good news is I got the motor running great. My Evinrude is electric start with a pull start on it. The key switch has the choke, but on the motor there is an on/off/automatic choke system as well. The choke got bumped to on and was constantly flooding the motor. So I put it on Automatic and BOOM she fired up. Bad news is, the water pump is not working. I have a 1976 75 HP Evinrude, how hard is it to replace a water pump on something like this?

Well I took the bolts out of the bottom of the lower unit. It had a bolt under the motor up top that held the long shaft in place. I had to undo this bolt to release the lower unit. The fuel pump/filter was in my way so I removed the pump but one gas line was stuck and I could not get it off. I thought it I cut it I could just replace the hose. I cut it and got the bolt off and the lower unit came right off. When I looked at the gas line I cut it had a spring like inner lining. What is the purpose of this? What type of fuel line do I need to use to replace the one I cut? Here are some pics of the fuel line I cut and also some pics of my lower unit. What do I do now that the lower unit is off to install a new water pump?

This was the section I could not for the life of me pull off. It was stuck on so I cut it. See the spring inside the line, do I need to find hose with this or is it just old and outdated? Also, the bolt below it was what I need to get at.

full-37815-7022-imag0080.jpg

The hose still connected to the fuel pump. Just another view of it showing the spring inside the line.

full-37815-7023-imag0081.jpg

Lower unit looking down the rod. I assume I take the plate at the bottom off and the water pump is that piece?

full-37815-7024-imag0082.jpg

A closer look at the lower unit, again I just take off the bolts and remove that "plate" and that is what i need to replace?

full-37815-7025-imag0083.jpg

A side view of the lower unit. How does the unit look, does it need to be cleaned and how do I do that?

full-37815-7026-imag0084.jpg

A look in what I think is that lower unit oil "pan"? This seems extremely dirty to me, is this ok or does some sort of maintenance need to be done?

full-37815-7027-imag0085.jpg

This is the plug that came from what I think is a transducer that is mounted in the back of the boat. It does not fit my Humminbird, does anyone know what brand this plug is for?

full-37815-7028-imag0078.jpg