• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Drop down spearhouse?

Huey

Anyone have a wheelhouse that they you for spearing?

This is mostly a day dream, but I'd love to have a wheelhouse that I could use for spearing and regular fishing, plus be able to spend the night in. It would open up a lot of possible wknd trips. Leave by o:darkthirty on Sat morning and you could go almost anywhere in MN, get in 2 days of fishing, and return Sunday night. Or stay close to home and not worry about driving home if your buddy wiser shows up. In my day dream, I head out early Sat AM spear during the day, get some walleye or crappie at dark, then watch the Gopher hockey game on dish tv, sleep safe and sound, spear again Sunday morning, and drive home Sun afternoon.

Ron at Taber's Bait in Bemidji has one that he is thinking about selling! . He can explain the house in detail and answer any questions you may have. It is a real nice house!

[Note from admin: Your post has been edited. Please read forum policy before posting again. Thank you.]

building one for next season I have got most of the frame done just have to add the axle assembly to it then start on the house it will be 5x9 not much of a sleeper house but it'll be a stabbin cabin on wheels

I have a 14' plane jane ice castle, and have kicked around the idea for a couple of years now about adding a spear hole to it. This year while out on a lake I saw some ice blocks next to a house like mine, so I went to talk to him. He had it set up about the same way I planned on doing it. Now that I seen it can be done, it is going to be my summer project.

I have a 7x14 wheelhouse with both regular holes and a spearhole in it. Works good.

Sounds like a nice set-up.

Do you have any trouble getting the house dark enough?

In my dreams, the Gophers always win.

problem is that you have to wake up grin

Heuy I've had a few people ask me about the light factor or doest that house get dark enough well IMO the light or darkness is a visual aid for the spearer and not as much as a factor for the spearie I have a portable that has served me well and it is not nearly as dark as my perm.

What I am trying to say is its not all about how dark it can be but to me its more a movment thing. I think that when its darker in the house its easier to see the fish and it easier for the fish to see your movement. I have speared pike with the door wide open on a few occations also this past season as I was talking with a fellow spear fishermen I noticed a pike in the hole and pointed to him and he was able to spear it. It was a 28 incher and was very intent on the decoy and didnt pay no attention to the door being open. Now I'm not saying this should be normal practice but that it not as much as a factor as is talked about. To Me the most important thing is controling your movement.

problem is that you have to wake up grin

Not a problem. The Goph's win plenty of games. Especially sweet when our MN boys playing for the U beat a team of imported Canadians wearing green jerseys. whistle

Elwood thanks for your comments about light. I agree that the house doesn't neeed to be super dark. It's nice when you can see well enough to change decoys, grab a soda, etc..

building one for next season I have got most of the frame done just have to add the axle assembly to it then start on the house it will be 5x9 not much of a sleeper house but it'll be a stabbin cabin on wheels

We might not have to rent cabins for the next GTG now! Maybe better think about adding some double bunks Elwood. laugh

I have a 7x14 spearhouse on wheels. It has two 40"x40" holes in it and is an absolute blast to spear out of. The kids love it, the adults love it. Well I hadn't been out to it in two weeks and of course they had to be off(procrastinater, I know). We pull up and it's froze into the ice 8". My brother and I looked at each other and said "Well I guess we know where we'll be all day. It took us over 5 hours of chiseling to get that thing loose. We finally got it all hooked up and headed toward the access and on the way hit an ice chunk and ripped the wheel right off the fishhouse!!! We finally got home at 8:30 last night and before my brother went home we both agreed... It was still worth it. Can't wait till next season. Long story short, the wheel house spear house is well worth it. I would recommend it to anyone.