• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Cabela's AGM batteries?

Hula_Grub

Who's got them? Likes/dislikes appreciated. I just picked up two at the big sale, hoping that the other reviews I read were accurate. At the price I paid if they don't last forever I still did pretty good.

Anything special I need to know about charging other than get a new charger for the trolling battery? I got a 27 for the troller and a 22 for starting. Both have waaay more power than what I replaced.

You are going to be extremely happy. I received these in my boat upon purchase and still going strong on my 4th season. I use my trolling motor for everything and run it hard all day. I can easly go a full weekend without charging them...which is nice for camping or staying somwhere that doesn't have power at the dock...which leads me to really the only CON I can think of. If you do not have power near your boat, you have to take the battery out and unscrew the bolt terminal which is not the most user friendly.

I would get the on-board chargers for the style batter as well. Very simple to install and makes charging a breeze.

Congrats on a great purchase, you'll be happy....just remember to take care of them, and they last a long time!

I just ordered three agm 27's for my boat. The time was right with them being on sale, using a $20 off coupon for each one, and purchasing gift cards to cover the amount at 12% off.

I read that the terminal posts can be a bit of an issue due that they are a smaller size and not real compatible with wiring multiple items to each terminal. The quick fix is to either buy a terminal adapter so they wire like other batteries (wing nut design) or buy longer ss 6mm bolts to replace the current ones.

I had one years ago and was disapointed with it. It only lasted a few years. However I was charging it with an old cheap charger, probalby not the best for it.

I have since had Optima's and have been impressed with those but for the money I think I'll just buy Interstates to replace my TM batteries.

I posted about these before. My first set lasted 8-9 years using a Dual Pro on-board charger. I just replaced them 2 years ago. I went with the size 24 since looking at the reserve capacity, they are about the same as the 27s (178 compared to 180) but are 1.2 inches shorter, weigh 9 # less and cost $20 less.

I had one years ago and was disapointed with it. It only lasted a few years. However I was charging it with an old cheap charger, probalby not the best for it.

I have since had Optima's and have been impressed with those but for the money I think I'll just buy Interstates to replace my TM batteries.

You need to charge AGM batteries with a specific charger. Your old cheap one most likely fried the battery.

The reason I bought 27's:

"The Group 24 AGM has 79 Ah, the Group 27 has 92Ah, and the Group 31 has 105.For 9 or 10 more pounds, you are getting 13 more amp-hours with the Group 27 vs Group 24"

Sounded good to me so thats what I got...

I've also read many times that no "specific" charger is needed.

"The charging voltages are the same as for any standard battery - no need for any special adjustments or problems with incompatible chargers or charge controls. And, since the internal resistance is extremely low, there is almost no heating of the battery even under heavy charge and discharge currents. The Concorde (and most AGM) batteries have no charge or discharge current limits.

http://www.windsun.com/Batteries/Battery_FAQ.htm#AGM,%20or%20Absorbed%20Glass%20Mat%20Batteries

East Penn/Deka has a manual that has some good info regarding their GEL and AGM batteries, and specific details regarding charging. You can find the manual on Deka's site.

From the manual:

Quote:

How critical is recharge voltage?

Why are all VRLA batteries so charge

sensitive?

All lead-acid batteries give off hydrogen from the negative plate and oxygen from the positive plate during charging.

VRLA batteries have pressure-sensitive valves. Without the ability to retain pressure within the cells, hydrogen and oxygen would be lost to the atmosphere, eventually drying out the electrolyte and separators.

Voltage is electrical pressure. Charge (ampere-hours) is a quantity of electricity. Current (amperes) is electrical flow (charging speed). A battery can only store a certain quantity of electricity. The closer it gets to being fully charged, the slower it must be charged. Temperature also affects charging.

If the right pressure (voltage) is used for the temperature, a battery will accept charge at its ideal rate. If too much pressure is used, charge will be forced through the battery faster than it can be stored. Reactions other than the charging reaction occur to transport this current through the battery—mainly gassing. Hydrogen and oxygen are given off faster than the recombination

reaction. This raises the pressure until the pressure relief valve opens. The gas lost cannot be replaced. Any VRLA battery will dry out and fail prematurely if it experiences excessive overcharge. Note: It is the pressure (voltage) that initiates this problem— a battery can be “over-charged” (damaged by too much voltage) even though it is not fully “charged.”

This is why charging voltage must be carefully regulated and

temperature compensated to the values on page 11.

Quote:
IMPORTANT: Always use an automatic temperaturesensing, voltage-regulated charger! Set charger at 13.8 to 14.1 volts at 68°F for gel, or 14.4 to 14.6 volts at 68°F for AGM. Do not exceed 14.1 volts for gel or 14.6 volts for AGM.

So,

What's the internet consensus about letting your motor charge the AGM starting battery? Is the current output from the alternator slow enough to not ruin the battery? I have a fishfinder, gps, and radio running on that battery all the time.

I bought schumacher charger from Fleet Farm with an AGM specific mode, Ship and Shore model that I plan on using for the trolling battery. It has 2, 10, and 15 amp. I figure I'll be pretty safe on the 10 amp charge.

Any real world experiences out there?

Who's got them? Likes/dislikes appreciated. I just picked up two at the big sale, hoping that the other reviews I read were accurate. At the price I paid if they don't last forever I still did pretty good.

Anything special I need to know about charging other than get a new charger for the trolling battery? I got a 27 for the troller and a 22 for starting. Both have waaay more power than what I replaced.

You may think to charge Agm batteries with a relevant charger.

I use AGM's on my pickup and with my camper but they are more expensive and perform worse than true deep cycle FLAT (flooded lead acid type) batteries for use with a trolling motor and no better for use as a starter motor. Warranties are no longer for the AGM than for the FLAT batteries and the cost 80-100% more to purchase.

Only place where AGM's are better is if you need to put them on their side or in an unvented compartment or need intense vibration and shock protection. I have used FLAT batteris in boats being pounded thousands of miles offshore and never had one fail. As long as they are securely mounted they can take the shock of any marine environment.

The assumption that spending twice as much on a battery is going to make it twice as good or last twice as long is false. Longest life is with the industrial FLAT batteries from companies like Trojan where 7-10 years of use is normal.

With AGM batteries it is important to full recharge them after each use which is why they are not a good choice for a trolling motor application.