• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

outdoor floor

Acemac

ok so another topic got hijacked with flooring talk....

I WILL build a keenel floor this spring for my 10x10 out door kennel. from what I have heard wood is not good pavers are not good and a slab is the best?

I have to get the dog out of the mud and [PoorWordUsage] nothing worst then a messy dog when I get home from work when its raining or wet out.

the raised plastic floor products out there seem way to spendy to me so i need other options or I am just going to build a 1x2 slat platform.

I used the rectangle concrete patio blocks - just the very basic ones. I built up my platform with gravel and sand using treated landscape timbers for the perimeter. I tamped the sand down as best I could without renting a tamper. I placed the blocks in a nice fancy pattern that I knew my dog would like grin leaving about 1/8" or so between blocks on all sides. I then dumped the premixed concrete over it all and broomed it in until it filled all the cracks. I took a garden hose and sprayed it down and it set up. It's been about 10 years and there has been some settling and cracking but overall it has held up good.

I used the rectangle concrete patio blocks - just the very basic ones. I built up my platform with gravel and sand using treated landscape timbers for the perimeter. I tamped the sand down as best I could without renting a tamper. I placed the blocks in a nice fancy pattern that I knew my dog would like grin leaving about 1/8" or so between blocks on all sides. I then dumped the premixed concrete over it all and broomed it in until it filled all the cracks. I took a garden hose and sprayed it down and it set up. It's been about 10 years and there has been some settling and cracking but overall it has held up good.

That is actually not a bad idea, bummer on the cracks, but it is expected! Very creative!

The best thing to do is find someone you know that does concrete. If you know someone and they have a job, have them order just a little extra concrete (which most of them do anyway, better to have more than enough then not enough)

Have em drop the extra off, you could also just form up something and use bags of quickcrete. not as good for a slab but it will work.

Thats what I'm thinking. A 10x10 slab, 3 inches thick, is 25 cubic ft. a Bag of quickcrete is like $2.65 and 1/2 cubic ft. So 50 bags, is going to run about $150 w/tax.

10 x 10 slab with Anchor™ 12 in. x 12 in. Square Concrete Step Stone 1.48$ a piece.

you can do the math and pouring concrete is probably cheaper.

100 Steppers - 148$

Snap Edge w spikes - 56$

Class 5 - 17$

I would just dig a hole, put in some base, tamp it as good as you can. build your frame and do a concrete slab.

I have not had any problems with my wooden floor. I used green treated 2x4s as the base, and deck-screwed treated plywood on. One corner was left without flooring, but I sunk some patio block underneath, with pea gravel coming up below the level of the floor. That corner slopes away from the kennel, and drains into the landscape river rock surrounding that wall of the kennel. It is where the pooch relieves himself if I fail to get home in time to let him out to do his business.

The entire floor has a slight slope to one side (towards the river rock) so drainage happens.

I don't have any real problems with keeping the thing clean, and in my opinion the wood doesn't cause the callouses on the dogs legs that you get with concrete.

Quote:
It is where the pooch relieves himself if I fail to get home in time to let him out to do his business.

There is your answer as why you have not had an issue with wood. If you can work with a dog to train him like this, then any surface would work. I would say anything is better than dirt, but dirt even has its positives I assume.

Acemac, it is not hijacking when the OP furthers the question based off a good question asked towards an informative post directed towards the OP's original post. wink But good call and it deserves its own topic. smile

I was thinking more along the lines for using treated 2x4s with some composit decking on top. any one have this set up?

I think once you price out enough composite to cover 10x10, plus the treated lumber, it will be more expensive than concrete. Again, you can get 1 yard of concrete which will cover 10x10, 3 inches thick, for under $200.

I built an outside kennel and after much pondering and asking questions on this site as well I went to a concrete plant were they make blocks, pavers etc.. and bought seconds (meaning they have inperfections) 2'X 2' pavers for $2 each, my kennel is 12'x 6' so i needed 18 and payed $36 dollars. lot easier and cheaper than pouring concrete. I also made a treated wood perimiter and sand underneath.

Found a thick black mat and put on one end and the dog does her bussiness on the other end.

were is this plant that is a perfect idea!

Go to Anchor block, or interloc concrete in Jordan. They should have seconds. Sometimes Minnesota Valley wholesale will have seconds as well.

You could call hermans landscape in Jordan as well and see if you could buy damanged or defective blocks, steppers, or pavers for cheaper. I might have some laying around the yard too. What are you looking at getting size wise? Once the snow clears from our stock pile I will check for you.

Ya I will have to look into these places. as the snow melts I see my great Idea to lay marsh grass down in the outdoor 10x10 was a good idea when it was snowy and a horibale idea as all that snow melted. I have one heck of a mess to clean up in the kennel....

Just drop the $200 and put a slab in. In the grand scheme of things, its really not that much compared to all the other costs associated with a dog.

+1237823987529374

Not to mention it will outlast the other options and you can reuse this slab for every dog you own.

I had given consideration to a slab, but I wanted to put my kennel within a drainage and utility easement that runs along the rear 20 feet of my lot. The power company guys have been through several times, and one crew actually knocked on my door and asked if they could play with my lab for a bit during their break! Nice guys - and the dog enjoyed the attention.

Now, I could of course just put a slab down - but if the City/power company tell me to move it, I'd have to get it out. I came up with the wooden floor solution back in the days when we rented, and all of my landlords were cool with it. Anything to get the pooch up out of the mud!

I am about to put up a outdoor kennel and I am renting a house so I am not looking to spend alot of money on a flooring. What would be a good alternative? I was thinking of wood shaving like I used back on the farms for the horses for there bedding. Would this work? Or would I be better off buying something else to keep her clean. She will only be in the kennel from when I leave for work till when I get home.

I use wood chips. I put down about 3-4 inches initially. Over time they disintegrate and need to be topped off, usually every couple years. I have used regular shavings in the past, and they are OK, too, but the chips tend to stay in place better.

My kennels have always been in houses I owned. If you are renting short term, you might have to disassemble and clean up whatever resifue you have when it's time to leave.